• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Soft Top Boot Cover - BJ7

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys,

Just bought a new vinyl boot cover for my soft top. This cover has some lining sewn into the inner area, I presume to protect it from tearing.

The issue that I am having is that it seems to be an extremely tight fit...At Best, and almost too small. It doesn't seem to me that this lining can be removed, but it does seem to restrict stretching the material so it can be attached properly.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, or has any suggestion on how to get it to fit.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• 207DF851-5AF4-447B-8B03-35FCBAED9CD8.jpg
    207DF851-5AF4-447B-8B03-35FCBAED9CD8.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 106
  • C26AB213-4C51-4F91-84E1-37BB63F69F4C.jpg
    C26AB213-4C51-4F91-84E1-37BB63F69F4C.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 1781BE2D-AD3C-43AD-A60B-B89F423E73F0.jpg
    1781BE2D-AD3C-43AD-A60B-B89F423E73F0.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 103

ozhealey

Country flag
Bill,

I recall when I first fit my boot cover on my BJ7 it was very tight. At first I struggled to even understand how it could fit at all until I figured out how to fold the top down properly. The result had the soft top around an inch lower when folded. I unzip the window and fold it in first, and then carefully “push” each fold down and neatly in as far as possible. Once I did this, the lower top made the job achievable. The fit was still tight but definately much easier. Tight is actually good in my opinion as you dont want any “flapping” when underway.

The horse hair or coarse padding is actually very good and makes for a much higher quality finish. You can get boot covers and tonneau covers without this padding, however they are not as good quality or fit (in my opinion). I am advised this was how the came from the factory. My tonneau also had this coarse layer of padding and a bright steel heavy duty zip and I loved it. Unfortunately when I converted to RHD, I could not find a munfacturer who produced this quality tonneau. My RHD tonneau is very well built, however has no padding and has a thin black plastic zip.

Cheers
Tony

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I still have an original hood boot for my BJ8. It fits tight as well, but it helps to expose it to warm sunlight for a few minutes before trying to snap it down. Maybe a hair dryer or heat gun would help if it's overcast, but I haven't tried it.

As an aside, I've noticed that none of the aftermarket boots seem to fit too well; the one the Wheeler Dealer guys fitted to the BJ8 they flipped was atrocious. For that reason, I've made do by having the rips and tears in mine stitched-up many times.

EDIT: Adding that yours looks to be a pretty decent fit and good quality; would you mind sharing the source as mine will likely fly west somewhere down the line? Also, it appears your new boot did not come with snaps fitted; presumably because they were likely fitted somewhat willy-nilly at the factory.

Last edited:
OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I took Tony’s advice and really folded the soft top as neatly as possible. Helped a little. I’ve been working on it during commercials at the British Open. Not done yet, but it seems to be working out a little better than I expected.

Attachments

• C9C87E91-5D03-4DB7-A936-24468F200027.jpg
    C9C87E91-5D03-4DB7-A936-24468F200027.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 6383353D-4167-415A-9BC9-085E3212F076.jpg
    6383353D-4167-415A-9BC9-085E3212F076.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 84
OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Btw,I got it from Moss during their upholstery sale. Was not inexpensive, but the quality seems pretty good.

thank you once again for the suggestions.