• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Speedometer and tachometer on '66 MGB are not working

1966MGB

Freshman Member
The speedometer in my 1966 MGB was sent to England for refurbishing around 2001. (I trusted restoration of my car to people I oughtn't have.) It never has worked right. The needle swings wildly -- like from zero to 100 -- no matter what speed I drive.

The tachometer was working three years ago. Unfortunately there were circumstances (flat tires ever time I drove it, poor weather, got married, other Life Tasks, etc.) that prevented me from driving my car. Now the tach seems to be 'dead'. No needle movement.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong, and how to fix them?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Check the cables, unusually the problem. Pull them off, pull the cables out of the housing and check for cleanliness and lubrication on the spedo cable. Sounds like the tach cable is broken. PJ

OP

1966MGB

Freshman Member
Check the cables, unusually the problem. Pull them off, pull the cables out of the housing and check for cleanliness and lubrication on the spedo cable. Sounds like the tach cable is broken. PJ

Would this be the appropriate speedometer cable (my car has overdrive), and would this be the correct tachometer cable?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What tach do you have in your car, Mechanical or electronic? Supposedly there was a change between 1962 and 1967. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tach should be electronic from '64 onward, AFAIR. With the engine running, rev to a bit higher than idle and *gently* tap the case from under the dash with a screwdriver handle...

Bouncing speedo is usually cable not lubed well or that angle drive not being snugly fitted to the gearbox. Have a look at the angle drive installation note on the Moss Motors website.

OP

1966MGB

Freshman Member
What tach do you have in your car, Mechanical or electronic? Supposedly there was a change between 1962 and 1967. PJ
No idea.

Tach should be electronic from '64 onward, AFAIR.
Thanks. Now I have an idea. ;)

Bouncing speedo is usually cable not lubed well or that angle drive not being snugly fitted to the gearbox. Have a look at the angle drive installation note on the Moss Motors website.
I'll have the mechanic check it out.

I just got back from a 50-mile round-trip. The tach creeped up, but only up -- not down. It was stuck at about 2,300 when I parked it.

The car ran fine, but I noticed a clattering coming from the engine when I got off of the freeway on the way back. I'll take it to the shop on Monday to see what that's about.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag