• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posting a picture

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Came across an 8 x 10 photo from 1959 of me running my new MGA Twin Cam in a gymkhana on the old Yale & Towne parking lot in Stamford, CT. Tried to upload it here but the old B & W photo was apparently too large at 3.93 Meg to transmit. I tried to crop it but it's a PDF file and not a JPEG so no luck. That car is today in Australia - in bad shape as I recall. I even had hair then - and no helmet. I never did too well in gymkhanas - found the pylons confusing, and they would never allow us to run through in advance. Famous for going off-course. I last competed in 1970 with my 1969 Datsun 510. Off course as usual. AFAIK, there are no more parking lot gymkhanas and have not been since around since the 1960s. Insurance regs - or just the fact that everything is open on Sunday now?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've noticed that I can't post pictures anymore.
Just did a couple of weeks ago,but now tells me that they're too big.
What happened?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Came across an 8 x 10 photo from 1959 of me running my new MGA Twin Cam in a gymkhana on the old Yale & Towne parking lot in Stamford, CT. Tried to upload it here but the old B & W photo was apparently too large at 3.93 Meg to transmit. I tried to crop it but it's a PDF file and not a JPEG so no luck. That car is today in Australia - in bad shape as I recall. I even had hair then - and no helmet. I never did too well in gymkhanas - found the pylons confusing, and they would never allow us to run through in advance. Famous for going off-course. I last competed in 1970 with my 1969 Datsun 510. Off course as usual. AFAIK, there are no more parking lot gymkhanas and have not been since around since the 1960s. Insurance regs - or just the fact that everything is open on Sunday now?

If it is digital you should be able to resize it (about 800 pixels wide x whatever high will usually work). Just need to make sure the file size is no more than 3MB. (That's a server limitation).

Doug - As far as I know nothing has changed with respect to allowed file size. However, you might want to go to "Settings" then click on "Attachments" and see if you attachment space is full. If so, there are a few things you can do. First, you can delete some older attachments (pictures) to make more space. 2. If you're a subscriber you can upload more (different levels get more space on the server). 3. You can upload the pictures to some third party site and then reference it in a post rather than uploading. I know Photobucket decided to start charing ridiculous amounts to allow you to link pictures on other sites. I use Flickr which stall allows hot-linking (but you have to pay an annual subscription fee).

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I always try to re-size mine down to 100kb or smaller. It works. :eek:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
santafe_5.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I always try to re-size mine down to 100kb or smaller. It works. :eek:

Actually all you need to do is make sure the file size in under 3MB to get you past the server limitation. Once the file is uploaded, the forum software re-sizes it so that the file size stored on the server is considerably less. For example, the picture I uploaded above was 2.7 Meg when I uploaded it, but when I go to Settings >> Attachments and look at that file on my server it is only 125k.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Like Tom, you can grab a PDF photo, open it up in a photo program such as "Paint" and re-size it to suit then save it as a JPG, GIF or what ever you wish in any folder you designate. PJ

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tom converted and now - I try again.
MGA 2.jpg
Success. Those were the days - and the nights were'nt bad either...

Last edited by a moderator:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Tom converted and now - I try again.View attachment 54628 Success. Those were the days - and the nights were'nt bad either...

When you first upload a picture, the default is that it is posted as a thumbnail. Then, people need to click on it to open it as a larger image. However, when you upload it, double click on the image BEFORE you save your post. When you double click the thumbnail while in the edit mode, you will be resented with options to position the image and resize (Center - Large is recommended).

Basil

PS I resized your image for you.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I constantly, but not always, have trouble after I add a pic to the reply box when I click on it to expand the pic it freezes up

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I constantly, but not always, have trouble after I add a pic to the reply box when I click on it to expand the pic it freezes up

What Browser are you using? Operating System? Also do you have the latest Java ?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Winky Dink 10
Firefox
Java and Firefox don't like each other

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Java and Firefox don't like each other

That may be the issue then. As a work around, try this. Upload a picture but leave it as a thumbnail and save the post. Then immediately edit the post and click the thumbnail to open the resize options box. See if that works any better.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
As an aside, the entire Yale & Towne (Yale locks) complex, empty for over 50 years, has finally been converted to lofts and apartments with stores and a restaurant on the ground floor. The large parking lot is now used by the stores and a giant Fairway Supermarket and Liquor Mart across the parking lot on the north- facing the right side of the MG. I have no recall who took the picture - might have been a member of the Fairfield County Sports Car Club of which I was Race Chairman (thought we never had a race). We did have a lot of rallies and a few gymkhanas. I'm one of the last surviving members. Still fooling around with sports cars over 59 years later. Some people never grow up.