• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator Paint

Molly

Freshman Member
Thought I’d throw this out there..... does anybody know if the original paint on the radiator was a gloss or semi gloss paint finish? It’s a 1960 AH 3000.
The body shop is getting ready to paint the radiator and asked me what finish I wanted.
Thanks.

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
According to the Anderson/Moment restoration guide either one is correct and has been that way since the 100's. I just refinished my BJ8 radiator with black gloss.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I think gloss black is great, but you need to have a perfect radiator “upper” area because it shows everything.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Which ever shade of black you use , use high temp engine paint, I always preferred the gloss black.

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I've used the Eastwood Radiator paint with great results. Just used it again this spring on a restored Corvette radiator.

However, with gloss be sure the surface is smooth or you will see the imperfections.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Most owners with aluminum radiators don't paint them. It takes a bit of work to get paint to stick well to aluminum.

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Late to the party, but thought I'd add my 30 years of coatings experience. Most single componet alkyd paint coatings can handle up to 250 degrees of intermittent dry heat and sustained heat up to 200. I just completed my new racing aluminum radiator cooling system and staying true to the period "stock" vintage look, I coated the entire upper portion with acid catayzed etching primer, followed by a two component low gloss acrylic polyurethane. It's equivalent to liquid field applied powder coating. The fan system is my design, which should lower under hood temperatures on pre-grid and after race cool down laps.

Radiator 1.jpg

Radaitor 2.jpg

Radaitor 3.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Very interesting! Is the alum rad the Cape item? I understand it has a stock-looking upper tank. Also did you custom-build the housing or source it? Details on the flat fan would also be appreciated.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi Steve -

Yes, this is the AH Spares aluminum performance radiator, I "re-badget" it to appear as a stock Healey radiator. After extensive research, I sourced the fan and shroud assemble from, https://coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/portal/products/fans-shrouds/. This is not a direct fit, I've made many modifications to accommodate this unit.

Healey Racer motor 5:17 2.jpg

Grey89

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello, have you completed the painting of your radiator? If you have, would you mind sharing the product you used? I'm also planning to refurbish mine, but I'm unsure if there's a particular paint or product recommended for radiators. I came across a radiator-paint on Google that appears to be effective, but since I lack experience in this matter, I'd rather not take any risks, particularly to avoid wasting my money. I appreciate any insights you can provide. Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I think that Dougie has nailed it on the optimum radiator/cooling fan combination for a Healey. I have used Cooling Componemts fan shroud combos in several high powered hot rod builds over the past 20+ years. They are far and away the quietest and most compact solitions for a variety of installations. I have tried many different fan brands including Maradyne, Spal and Zirgo. Spal are embarassingly noisy and nothing comes close to Cooling Components Inc. In my experience. I installed one of their fan shroud combinations together with a Derale PWM controller in my Nasty Boy Heely and it works like a dream. I used Krylon High Heat satin black paint to paint the aluminium crossflow Champion radiator. Talking of paint, a word of caution about Eastwood radiator paint - after meticulous prep I had it react with itself and wrinkle severely when second coating after 15-20 minutes. I used four different cans of their paint including three sent as replacements and had to strip and repaint the radiator four times on a different car. My simple advice - choose something else.

Also when choosing an aluminium radiator make sure it does not have epoxied tubes - they faill and you will end up replacing it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Also, minimize the paint on the radiator core. Paint acts as insulation, reducing the heat transfer. You may go to town on the tanks.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

Attachments

• 459F3726-7B4E-478E-9258-E0C631551175.jpeg
    459F3726-7B4E-478E-9258-E0C631551175.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 42
  • E19075E0-569E-47D6-8A88-0A7A8B81F93A.jpeg
    E19075E0-569E-47D6-8A88-0A7A8B81F93A.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 41