• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Missing grease cap in front hub

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Hi
in the process of preparing to bleed the clutch ( another thread), and on removing the wheel I noticed there was no grease cap in the front hub. I bought a new one but no way was it going to fit into the hub.

Obviously it would be good to have the grease cap in situ but is it absolutely necessary? I can't see how the bearing could be contaminated as the wheel is sealed with grease onto the hub.

I will see if the supplier has a cap with a slightly smaller diameter but if not I will leave "as is"

Thanks
Steve

kozelding

Country flag
I had the same experience, but only on the left side. I haven't looked to see if the difference between sides is the hubs or the caps....

In any case, I've been meaning to grind down the new cap I have to make it fit, but I haven't yet, and 10k miles later, all seems fine :welcoming: And I agree, unless something is loose that shouldn't be, I can't see how dirt can get behind the knock-offs.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G’day Steve,
the cap is meant to be a tight fit. In the workshop manual it shows a special “grease cap remover” being used which gives an idea how tight a fit they are. When I bought my car in 1968 it did not have any caps and I did not bother to fit any until my 2002-02 restoration. My theory is that if the manufacturer felt they were necessary then they should be used.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just replaced the wheel bearings on my BJ8 after, maybe, 60K miles of neglect (they showed some pitting). The inside of the hubs were clean, even though I drive my BJ8--but not the 100M--in severe weather (like serious rain and dust storms). Still, I'd want to have the caps in there. My original--AFAIK--caps are still a tight fit (and have the hammer marks to prove it).

OP
warwick-steve

warwick-steve

Jedi Hopeful
Thank everyone for that, all good to know,
I guess I will do as you indicated Bob H,i.e. just file down slightly to still get a tight fit. Currently they are definitely oversized.
Bob S, noting you have replaced your bearings after "60K miles of neglect", how many miles would you typically drive before repacking and/or adjusting?
cheers
Steve

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve, the 60K number was just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Assed Guess), but it had been at least ten years since I went into the hubs to fix a spun outer washer and I put about 6K miles a year on my BJ8. I think going any more than 50K miles without a repack is risky. Also, the bearing grease was largely gone or dried-up, so this time I'm trying Redline synthetic. NFI, but I've had good luck with Redline products in the gearbox/OD and differential.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My understanding of the grease cap is-it is to be packed with grease after the bearing and race so the grease in the bearing if it tends to squeeze out ha no place to go ???

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My understanding of the grease cap is-it is to be packed with grease after the bearing and race so the grease in the bearing if it tends to squeeze out ha no place to go ???

I used to think you should stuff all the cavities in the hub with grease for that reason, but have been disabused of that notion.