• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Door Seals and Top Padded "Rail"

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
How are those door seals removed and replaced? I assume the padded rails for the 4A have lips that fold down into the door behind those seals, all for a better fit and durability. Am I I right? It's hard to imagine just gluing those on as if they'd stay in place. On that topic, though, would I use contact cement or some other adhesive? Any advice here would be great. Thanks all.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Can't answer the first part about the mechanical attachment of the seal, but for nearly all interior trim/seal work that requires adhesive I like 3M FastTack. Comes in a little red tube from FLAPS.
First introduced to the stuff by old school bike racers when I was competitive on two wheels. We used it to glue on tubular tires to rims. It's that strong.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I just wanted to re-up this post. Looking for any advice at all as to how to install those rails. It looks like the flaps have to be turned down inside the door and glued and that cut outs have to be made to allow the clips to stick through the flaps.

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just wanted to re-up this post. Looking for any advice at all as to how to install those rails. It looks like the flaps have to be turned down inside the door and glued and that cut outs have to be made to allow the clips to stick through the flaps.

That's how I did mine. Originals were long gone when I got my car (in fact, it was many years before I even released they were missing!).

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I had my 4A professionally retrimmed - seats, carpet, doorcards. On the way home, I noticed something different about the car. I had more shoulder room because they had not reinstalled the door rails. I retrieved the rails but I have never reinstalled them, partly because I like the extra room and partly because they are a PITA to put back. You have to remove the door cards to glue them in place, and you also have to remove and replace the rubber window seals which can cause long term mental health problems! The car is set up to be used, not win concours.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
What about "Goop Automotive Contact Cement?" Looks like the same thing (small red tube), and after a number of calls and visits to my friendly local auto parts stores, I can't find the 3M product in a tube?