• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Millennial Anti-theft Device

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
shifter.jpg
Of course this is the key to the "lock."

D

Deleted member 8987

Back when my kids were in that age grouping where folks they knew were in to stealing automobiles.....three on the tree and a manual choke stopped them.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
... and the clutch will usually stop them no matter what.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
... and the clutch will usually stop them no matter what.

Wait, the clutch STOPS the car? Thank you for letting me know - sounds like a great safety idea: two pedals to brake. And good to know next time I go on my car-stealing spree. I was always confused by those three pedal cars. Why three pedals? And they have a really loose gear lever - it wiggles in all directions! I wish people would take better care of their cars.

:congratulatory: Apologies for my bad humor this morning...

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep. I've seen a few news stories about thefts gone wrong. There was even a video of a guy that forced a driver out of their pick-up (at gunpoint) only to have the thief give up and run away.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As a secondary precaution in the Elan, I have made one of the (all unlabled) switches in the dash a fuel pump cutoff... it may start, but it will only run for about 20 seconds. By the time a would be thief has cranked the starter a few more times, I'd be standing beside the car and introducing him to Mr. Walther.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As a secondary precaution in the Elan, I have made one of the (all unlabled) switches in the dash a fuel pump cutoff... it may start, but it will only run for about 20 seconds. By the time a would be thief has cranked the starter a few more times, I'd be standing beside the car and introducing him to Mr. Walther.
I put a silent alarm in my car (Ford Explorer) some years ago. About 3am the alarm in my room went off. Told the wife to call the cops and I took off to re-educate :devilgrin: the perp. I called off the foot race when he entered my neighbors yard. The neighbor had a firearm and would use it but at 3am he might not recognize me from the perp. Police showed up and they were questioning my decision to chase the guy... they don’t know me :rolleye:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We used to put fuel pump shut switches and battery disconnects in a lot of the LBCs we worked on at the shop years ago.

D

Deleted member 8987

My current 1950 Ford Tudor...when I got it JAN1970, it had a spare dash-mount interior light switch (pull to turn on) mounted in the back of the glove box.
Former owner said, get to the construction site, open the glove box, smack the maps, pushed the switch in, and the LAMP CORD was taped to the main wiring harness, to the distributor, where they had drilled a hole in the bottom of the distributor housing, one side went to the external lead for power from coil, other went to points/condensor. You could not even hot wire it and make it go.

FIRST thing I removed.

Imagine20 feet of extra resistance from coil to points, plus a switch and CRIMP connectors.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Did you tell the owners?"

If we liked them.