• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Alternator wiring diagram

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have installed an alternator in my TR3A rebuild and am getting to the wiring point of the rebuild.

I have a 60 amp Amp meter and have modified the control box so that connections D, A, A1 are tied together so it looks more original. (I think that was Randall's idea).
I got some 60 amp wire from British Wiring.
Plan to use the original solenoid to power the Hi Torque starter solenoid so I retain the posh button on the firewall.
So here is a very rough wiring diagram that I am working on. Please point out all my errors as I am not an electrician.

David

Wiring diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.jpg
    Wiring diagram.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 139

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I hope that is right! I am using an almost identical plan for my rebuild, but with the original starter and ammeter and "new" harness wiring. ( It is actually 20 years old.) So I too wait with interest to see if it is correct.
Michael

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Looks OK to me, assuming that the unlabeled terminals are what I'd expect them to be.

What kind of alternator are you using?

If I were doing it, though, I'd just remove the control box, assuming you are using a modern alternator, not the one that looks like a generator. It's obvous at a glance that it's an alternator, so the presence of a generator control box doesn't really provide an original appearance.

Also, you could just install a pushbutton somewhere instead of keeping the starter solenoid. That would make it a little simpler.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think it is a 10 SI but I can't see the plate now that it is on the car.

The control box is only for appearances and will act as a connection point.

As I had a working starter solenoid I thought retaining the under bonnet button may prove to be handy at some time.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
With an alternator you are now going to have negative earth so you need to revers the wires on your amp meter and the battery and coil. With your control box moderfication i just used the existing wires,the yellow for the ignition light and the large one for the battery via the control box.

Graham

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This is a wire from scratch job. I am considering stripping the yellow wire out of the harness or taping it up as I have some heavy wire from British Wiring for the feed from the alternator to control box connection - amp meter - starter solenoid connection.
I will add in a wire to go from the alternator to the ignition light.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The small yellow wire only runs a 3 w globe so you dont need any thing heavy duty for that.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I plan to run a yellow wire from the No.1 connection on the alternator to the bulb on the dash board to keep the wiring diagram a bit standard.

The heavy brown wire will only be for the heavy current path.

David