• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DNA Test, Me

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Done

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8987

Without doing a mail-order government accessible DNA test...British fully on Dad's side (both his folks), except: Viking Raiders that stayed on...so Scandinavian back lots of years. Scot (McNaughton), Irish (O'Cannon), and a tad of Frog (DeFur).

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Mars on my father's side and Venus on mom's side.

my-favorite-martian.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Without doing a mail-order government accessible DNA test...British fully on Dad's side (both his folks), except: Viking Raiders that stayed on...so Scandinavian back lots of years. Scot (McNaughton), Irish (O'Cannon), and a tad of Frog (DeFur).

MacNaughton (MacNaghten) here too (Scottish, not Irish). Main line is Morehouse from Huddersfield, Yorkshire, with a bit of Welsh Lloyd tossed in for good measure. First Morehouse arrived in America in 1633, farmed near Hartford CT.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dang, here all this time I thought you lived in OK

dklawson

Yoda
Sidebar: Older DNA Tests

The current hoopla has been for DNA tests that show where your ancestors come from. For more than a decade before that the more common tests were looking at various markers to identify male family lines. To help another person with the Lawson surname I agreed to take such a test for the (then) maximum 67 markers. I waited eagerly for my test results only to find I was not related to ANY of the Lawson lines I thought I connected with. During the next 10 years I eventually found some Lawsons I matched. We were all descended from our common 3rd great-grandfather, born 1783.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
\

The German connection dates back to the Crusades when the the Normans and Saxtons were not having a friendly relationship. :rolleyes2:

Apparently at least one Norman and one Saxon had a friendly relationship!

Personally, I find these DNA tests frightening. You pay money to turn your DNA information over to a completely unregulated database that is free to sell that information to insurance companies, healthcare providers, government agencies, etc, etc. Not only do you make that choice for yourself, but for all your relatives whether they consent or not. Believe me, I'm as far from being a tinfoil hat guy as you can get, but this is scary. Those that rail against FB, Google and other social media info collectors should really be keeping an eye on the DNA harvesters.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TOC said:
Without doing a mail-order government accessible DNA test...

Boy, howdy!

Me Old Fella claimed to be a "Heinz 57" and the maternal side all came out of Italy in the early 1900's. All I need to know. I'm good.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Apparently at least one Norman and one Saxon had a friendly relationship!

Personally, I find these DNA tests frightening. You pay money to turn your DNA information over to a completely unregulated database that is free to sell that information to insurance companies, healthcare providers, government agencies, etc, etc. Not only do you make that choice for yourself, but for all your relatives whether they consent or not. Believe me, I'm as far from being a tinfoil hat guy as you can get, but this is scary. Those that rail against FB, Google and other social media info collectors should really be keeping an eye on the DNA harvesters.

I've always scratched me nodge over WHY anyone would subject themselves to such an intrusive and well disseminated glob of truly personal data.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've always scratched me nodge over WHY anyone would subject themselves to such an intrusive and well disseminated glob of truly personal data.
It’s done every day at the docs office when people sign the HIPPA form.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Exactly! What does anyone think an insurance company is going to do once they have info on whatever illnesses your genes show you might be at risk for? I think we would all like to find out our ancestors were Richard the Lionhearted or King Tut, but truth is most of us are a bunch of mutts and if we had that famous ancestry we'd probably know it by now. I admit I'm curious to see what kind of genealogical stew I popped out of, but not enough to hand over that kind of info that who knows how damaging it could be to my kids, their kids, etc for who knows how long into eternity.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It’s done every day at the docs office when people sign the HIPPA form.

Precisely why I am not HIPPA certified as an I.T. consultant, as well. I know as a patient, I'm in the pool. But the financial and informational penalties to both businesses and individuals is, IMHO, a bridge too far. If a prospective client with HIPPA compliance requirement calls, they're politely told they need to find someone else.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I refused to sign one at my physician when I read that they can sell my information to third parties for the purpose of FUND RAISING. I told the office manager in no uncertain terms that this was bull ecoli.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When Justice Douglas saw the right to privacy as a penumbral right of the Bill of Rights he was speaking for a generation like my parents that felt your business was your business. You didn't discuss things like health issues, how much you made, or how crazy your brother-in-law was outside your family. Some of that mentality was surely detrimental, but now we've gone so far in the other direction that younger folks have no expectation of privacy or voluntarily give it up without knowing they have an option to keep it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And...

I like this as well:

<em>

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks doc..... that was a very cool video.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And mostly this.... but with a lot less "blue" at the time.

asteroid-top.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks doc..... that was a very cool video.

You know that's me on me knees in th' fetal position on Summer Solstice on my back yard rock, right?