• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery leftover BJ7 Pieces

PeterB

Country flag
Here are 2 parts I am just not sure where they go. I am thinking I saw the first one before going from the steering column to the area where the windshield frame bolts but I am not sure. If in fact that is it, how does it go? The second one I have no idea what or where. Any help would be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• 49D10B94-CDD9-4038-968B-2BBA63F6B6CB.jpg
    49D10B94-CDD9-4038-968B-2BBA63F6B6CB.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 974C5B46-B2ED-4E64-9201-F2320AA096A2.jpg
    974C5B46-B2ED-4E64-9201-F2320AA096A2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 168

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, too late.....buzzer?

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Great idea. I remember when I was a kid, probably around 1963, I was driving with my Grandmother ( nobody in the family was happy about her driving) and as we went down the road she suddenly asked me what that clicking noise was. 10 year old me said "that's your turn signal Grandma". Her response was "well of course I'll use it when I turn, it doesn't have to remind me". And on we drove.....

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Great idea. I remember when I was a kid, probably around 1963, I was driving with my Grandmother ( nobody in the family was happy about her driving) and as we went down the road she suddenly asked me what that clicking noise was. 10 year old me said "that's your turn signal Grandma". Her response was "well of course I'll use it when I turn, it doesn't have to remind me". And on we drove.....

Very cute anecdote!

ozhealey

Country flag
Gents,

The left picture (the bent/angled bracket) is actually correct and should be bent. It is for the steering column brace as indicated by Steve, and goes from the column to the windshield bolts but mine is original and is bent exactly as the picture indicates. The straight bracket described by Steve goes from the lower edge of the dash under the instruments to the forward bulkhead and passes next to the steering column. At least this is the configuration on my BJ7.

The other bracket looks aftermarket to me and I have not found it on my car despite a full restoration.

Cheers
Tony

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Gents,

The left picture (the bent/angled bracket) is actually correct and should be bent. It is for the steering column brace as indicated by Steve, and goes from the column to the windshield bolts but mine is original and is bent exactly as the picture indicates. The straight bracket described by Steve goes from the lower edge of the dash under the instruments to the forward bulkhead and passes next to the steering column. At least this is the configuration on my BJ7.

The other bracket looks aftermarket to me and I have not found it on my car despite a full restoration.

Cheers
Tony

Tony - perhaps you could post a picture of it as installed Maybe the design was changed between my BN6 and your BN7*.

Why would the factory bend a piece that was supposed to be a brace? It would have no strength.
Here's the dashboard brace parallel to the steering column - not the same piece - screw holes at either end, not 5/16" bolt holes:

screenshot.1371.jpg

*Addendum: I meant "BJ7" above, not "BN7".

Last edited:

ozhealey

Country flag
Steve,

I dont have a BN7, I have a BJ7 the same as Peter, not sure if that makes a difference.

I have the straight brace in your picture above and as I indicated in my post in my car this is in place and goes from the dash to the firewall.

The bent bracket is absolutely factory in my BJ7 and looks exactly the same as Peter’s bracket. When I got my car a few decades ago it was an all original, untouched LHD BJ7 and the bracket was installed. The reason I knew what the bracket was immediately when I saw Peter’s pictures is because I recently converted the car to RHD and when I moved the steering across, the brackets all transposed as well. Amazingly, they all fitted perfectly on the RHD side as well and matched to the factory holes, including the factory bent bracket.

Noting the bracket is up towards the steering wheel end of the column brace, it could have been designed with a bend to give more knee room and/or to allow easier access to the instruments and wiring look behind the gauges. It is certainly a solid bracket which does not bend easily if at all from its current shape. Looking at the design and recalling my RHD conversion, the lateral movement of the steering column and brace at the dash is constrained by the very solid steering column end bracket which bolts to the dash/scuttle and the steering column bracket. This bent piece is more of a “steady” than a brace or bracket.

I confirmed the bend visually last night and will have a go tonight to get a picture and post it (noting the mirror opposite configuration of my now RHD BJ7).

Cheers
Tony

grimes6

Country flag
Here is a image of an original untouched BJ7 with the bracket steering column steady AHB9176. This is a RHD vehicle and the bracket has a slight bend but not as much as the original image.

14b7458.jpg

grimes6

Country flag
Hi Steve,
Great pic but where is the steering column bracket ahb9683 which supports the steering column?

Regards,
Greg

ozhealey

Country flag
Steve,

Not the best picture but you get the point.

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• 89650C2B-1F19-4E5E-B142-90E569B15BB4.jpg
    89650C2B-1F19-4E5E-B142-90E569B15BB4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 112
D

Duane_Rhynard

Maybe Duane Rhynard has official materials showing this brace.

Steve,

Coincidentally, I do!

According to all the original parts lists for the 6 cylinder models, the "Bracket - steering column steady" (Part Number 14B7458) is the same for all cars BN4-BJ8 and show a straight bracket. (Items 57 and 16 respectively, below.)

Both my BN6 and BT7 have a straight bracket. (I think, I'll need to check). Edit: I checked, and both my brackets have a bend!!

BN6 Parts List

bracket1.jpg

BJ7-BJ8 Parts List

Bracket2.jpg

ozhealey

Country flag
Gents,

I guess it could be unique to the BJ7 or perhaps just some of the BJ7’s. The parts for the BJ7/8 in Moss show a straight bracket and the same for the 100/6 and early 3000’s.

I spoke to two friends here in Australia with BJ7’s (both converted from LHD cars) last night and they both have the bent bracket.

Incidentally, if my bracket was straight it would be too long to fit across the space and the holes for the windscreen would no longer line up.

I guess the mystery remains.

Cheers
Tony

D

Duane_Rhynard

Gents,

I guess it could be unique to the BJ7 or perhaps just some of the BJ7’s. The parts for the BJ7/8 in Moss show a straight bracket and the same for the 100/6 and early 3000’s.

I spoke to two friends here in Australia with BJ7’s (both converted from LHD cars) last night and they both have the bent bracket.

Incidentally, if my bracket was straight it would be too long to fit across the space and the holes for the windscreen would no longer line up.

I guess the mystery remains.

Cheers
Tony

Tony,

I just checked both my cars and they also have the bend in the bracket. (Updated my post). My BN6 could have been modified, but my BT7 was completely original, so I would say the drawing detail (Straight) on the parts list is incorrect. This is the first "mistake" I've uncovered on the parts list other than omitted parts!

Thanks,
Duane