• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 stop light [brake light] swith

edkap2002

Country flag
no brake lights...replaced the sockets for the bulbs and "no brake lights".....time to replace the switch above the pedal....not easy for an 18 year old...which i AM NOT....ANY ADVISE?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Nothing behind or under the dash is a lot of fun...but getting to the brake light switch isn't nearly the worse..
Open the driver side door; slide the driver seat all the way back; get a flash light and a couple of big open end wrenches differrent sizes cause you never know, OR an adjustable crescent.
Then using the flash light point to the switch, show it to your wife then hand her the wrenches...
OR just kneel down on the floor, reach in and DIY>

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
Yup...spot on...installed new switch from Moss and of course no brake lights...then started backing it away form the pedal with washers and VIOLA!..... brake lights.......I sure wish that some of the restoration parts would just fit and operate...plug and play...I know .......way too much to wish for.....now to tend to my aching back...thanks!

Nothing behind or under the dash is a lot of fun...but getting to the brake light switch isn't nearly the worse..
Open the driver side door; slide the driver seat all the way back; get a flash light and a couple of big open end wrenches differrent sizes cause you never know, OR an adjustable crescent.
Then using the flash light point to the switch, show it to your wife then hand her the wrenches...
OR just kneel down on the floor, reach in and DIY>

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Don't know how old you are but at 84, I have trouble just getting in and out of cars, let alone laying under a dash with a pillow under my butt. Just bending over the fender for more than a few minutes and my back tightens up. Old Age sucks...

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
Im 63 but apparently my back is in its 80s.

Don't know how old you are but at 84, I have trouble just getting in and out of cars, let alone laying under a dash with a pillow under my butt. Just bending over the fender for more than a few minutes and my back tightens up. Old Age sucks...

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I'm between both of y'all at 72, but it's not so much my age, but my gut that hampers my contortions.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Old Age sucks...

Yeah, aging isn't for sissies, but just remember, it beats the alternative.

I'm staring at at the big 7-0, coming up next year. Still in decent shape physically, but I find myself becoming more of a curmudgeon every year....

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the club, Steve. It's not a very exclusive club. They let me in. Just remember this - don't stop doing whatever it is you're doing - as long as it doesn't hurt you. At least people tell me I don't look my age. I'm still stiff as a board from working on the John Deere Sunday - dead battery. I'd use a car battery but it won't fit in the hole provided in the firewall. These little batteries are crap.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Ah, the joys of getting older, it seems like half the stuff I have had to do on my TR250 the last few years has been under the dash. Had a Porsche 924 a couple years ago, even more wires and fun under the dash.

I can still move and get to most of the parts I always could,but it is not as easy and I hurt more afterwards. But wait-there's more...

My strength-bolts used to faint and give up at the sight of me, now I have to take a hammer or breaker bar to get those hard bolts started.

My eyes-near to mid range vision harder to focus even with glasses, and the need for light where once I could easily see, thank goodness for cheap LED trouble lights.

Memory what order did I take this apart in? Did I tighten Where did I put that gd half inch wrench? (this one has always been an issue, overcome with sheer brute force, I have at least two sets of everything)

That being said, I am probably as good a mechanic as I have ever been, have tools, techniques, lights and tricks to compensate and hope to be enjoying working on cars for many years to come, including a few after I retire in 5 years or so.

OP
edkap2002

edkap2002

Country flag
I wish you lived closer....I could tap into your skill set....i,m on the same retirement path.

Ah, the joys of getting older, it seems like half the stuff I have had to do on my TR250 the last few years has been under the dash. Had a Porsche 924 a couple years ago, even more wires and fun under the dash.

I can still move and get to most of the parts I always could,but it is not as easy and I hurt more afterwards. But wait-there's more...

My strength-bolts used to faint and give up at the sight of me, now I have to take a hammer or breaker bar to get those hard bolts started.

My eyes-near to mid range vision harder to focus even with glasses, and the need for light where once I could easily see, thank goodness for cheap LED trouble lights.

Memory what order did I take this apart in? Did I tighten Where did I put that gd half inch wrench? (this one has always been an issue, overcome with sheer brute force, I have at least two sets of everything)

That being said, I am probably as good a mechanic as I have ever been, have tools, techniques, lights and tricks to compensate and hope to be enjoying working on cars for many years to come, including a few after I retire in 5 years or so.