• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1967 Austin Healey 3000

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Hello from Vancouver, Canada. I have been lurking on the forum for a while, and finally getting around to a proper introduction. Thanks to everyone for everything I have learned on this forum all ready, and I'm looking forward to contributing if I can be of help others.

For those that are interested, here is my back story :

I have always had a soft spot for British cars since my father had an MGB when I was young. It made quite an impression and I bought my first MGB in my early 20s. Being broke and it being my daily driver meant it wasn't long before I needed so say goodbye to the car and find a car that would actually get me to work. Fast forward to my early 30s with a bit more disposible income, (but no more common sense), I bought a 1968 MGB GT. Once again a daily driver but this time an excellent car, in large part due to the investment I made in maintIng it in top condition. However, within a couple of years I was married, and the two children which followed shortly meant saying goodbye again in favour of a mini van and a mortgage. Fast forward again to my early 50s, both kids heading off to college and finding myself in a fortunate position with respect to time, resources and choices. Which brings me to the Austin Healey which I purchased at an auction on a bit of a whim. I bought the car in January and after a couple of months of ownership, I am in love with the car! Wanting to do a few things to it lead me realize that under the shiny exterior lurked some rust and dodgy past repairs so I have decided to tackle a full restoration on it.

Cheers, Rob

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome Rob - great choice and great part of the world to be driving!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Rob

Welcome to the forum.

I have just returned from a few days in Vancouver. Actually I was staying in Nanaimo. Beautiful area up there.

Sounds like you are opening up the can of worms. It will be a fun journey and at the end you will have a car that will probable be better than the one that left the factory.

David

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure if it`s a can of worms or termites, but I`ve ordered up a Jule frame so it will be a complete redo and ultimately will be the car I want in the end.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure if it`s a can of worms or termites, but I`ve ordered up a Jule frame so it will be a complete redo and ultimately will be the car I want in the end.

excellent choice! I don't have a Big Healey but a lot of people swear by this frame.

OP
Westcoast M5

Westcoast M5

Country flag
There is an Australian company that makes a lot of Austin Healey parts. You may not have come across them yet.
Judging by the TR seat pan I got from them they do good work.
https://www.kas-kilmartin.com.au/Austin Healey.htm

David

Thanks David, I have read good things about Kilmartin in this forum. I have also heard the sheet metal from Ahead for Healey is good as well (manufactured by Shape Craft I think). I am trying to determine if some companies are better with certain panels and others companies being best at others, or whether to just order everything from one source (and it will be almost everything.....)

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My experience with their work is one seat pan. They changed the construction method slightly but the final result was excellent and a perfect match to my old one.

A little slow on the e mails but very careful with credit card info. No Pay Pal. They asked for the credit card info to be sent in 4 separate messages. That may help to keep it secure. By now they may have a better method.

David