• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Annulus shaft thread measurements?

rvm

Freshman Member
Country flag
The nut fell off!

Yesterday I was out in the foothills of the rockies having a great day when the flange coupling seperated from the overdrive after hitting a cattle guard at too high a speed. The castellated nut had backed itself off. Then cotter pin obviously not in place. Duh!! The flange took a beating on the teeth but I have sourced a replacement already. The 1st 4 rows of threads on the annulus shaft were damaged. So what size die to repair the threads on the annulus shaft would I need. TPI appears to measures 16 and the castellated nut measures approx 11/16th " but don't know if its BSF BSW or something else.

Thanks
Ross

Attachments

• Elbow River.jpg
    Elbow River.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy, Have you ever met a tool you didn't like? What strange tools you haven't found, I pretty sure you made yourself. I've always been impressed.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bob--

A cattle guard is a grating placed at a gate or fence entrance that discourages if not prevents cattle from walking across it due to its construction. Google "cattle guard" and you'll understand what happened to Ross.

Country flag
Good time to replace the rear oil seal.
By the way - what is a cattle guard?
Bob
ROFL!

Bob--

A cattle guard is a grating placed at a gate or fence entrance that discourages if not prevents cattle from walking across it due to its construction. Google "cattle guard" and you'll understand what happened to Ross.
Yes, as far as I know, they work pretty well; I don't know who made the discovery, but a cow won't walk across anything that isn't solid (ground...). So a network of tubes/angle-iron, usually about four feet (4') in depth X 10-12' wide is sufficient. After years of cars/trucks passing over them, it is not unusual for some of the welds to fatigue and network to bend, catching the bottom of a low-hung car or trailer.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Randy--

Not all cows know that and I have seen some who apparently did not get the memo and made it across unscathed. Florida range cattle (Brahma crosses) are a particularly tough and stubborn bunch and I have seen a number of them who learned to dance over the cattle guards.

There is an interesting Wiki page on "Cattle Guards" that will give you more information you probably want, including this:

Painted lines on the road can serve as skeuomorphs of cattle guards. The light-dark pattern of lines and pavement resembles a true cattle guard to animals, and they stop when they see one, just as if it were the real thing. Using a virtual cattle guard is initially cheaper than a true cattle guard,[11] but the cost of periodic re-painting may eventually exceed the initial cost of a well-built metal guard.[12] A particular advantage of painted guards is that they are smooth to drive over; in the United States, most are found on state or federal highways rather than private roads.[12]

Why they work is unclear, but it is most likely related to their visual system. Experts say that "a cow's depth perception is such that it makes little or no distinction between painted stripes on a dark background and bars over a pit."[13] Cattle may acquire the behavior of avoiding grids over pits either from individual experience or through imitation of other cattle. However, painted grids have been reported to work with semi-wild cattle with no prior exposure to virtual grids.[13]

Cattle can sometimes defeat virtual guards. A rancher in Queensland, Australia, told a reporter that after some of his old bulls leaped a painted grid, the younger ones lost their fear of walking across.[14] This is common; if one member of a herd discovers it can step safely on the lines, others will follow. Other incentives that lead cattle to test a virtual guard include placing food on the opposite side, or using strong driving pressure to run panicked cattle over a virtual grid.[11]

Country flag
Ugh. I cringe when I see a 'Cattle Guard' warning sign (not always present). Some have the metal bars situated a couple inches below the road surface; hit it too fast and the rear of your car--resonators on a BJ8--take a beating, slow down and the F150 that's tailgating will climb up your ass.

It didn't occur to me this could happen, but I'm glad that when I rebuilt my OD I torqued the snot out of that big nut.