• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tyre question, and an Latest

Konrod

Tyre question, and an up-date

Hi all

The manual says 22psi on standard tyre. I have new Michelin XWX fitted all round, and at that pressure the steering is way too heavy even when moving. 30 psi seems better, but the rear does "skip" over larger ruts. What is the collective view of the right pressures with "modern" tyres?

Aside from that my TR3a odyssey continues. Fitted the OD gearbox which works a treat, did full engine setup from scratch - points gap, valve gaps, plug gaps, timing, carb balance and mixture (with colourtune) and it is running like a sewing machine. All of the hesitancy has gone and it runs sweetly. I also gave in to my wife and fitted seatbelts.

Of course, it isn't that simple. The the car has been spitting brown water from the radiator overflow, and then the temperature started rising and wouldn't stop, and the filler cap was coated on a brown sludge - I was concerned about a head gasket failure, but there isn't any oil in the coolant, or water in the oil and the compression tests are all consistent at about 130. I've emptied what was left of the coolant, used a pressure hose on light setting to blow out as much as I can from the block, heater and radiator, and plenty of sludge came out. The two parts of the thermostat housing were siezed together (PO has used sealing compound with no gasket) so I lost two hours of my life geting them apart without damaging them. The result was the area behind the stat was full of sludge and I think it was stopping the stat (bellows type) from opening.

Looks like the car hasn't been used much and there was no antifreeze/inhibitor and the coolant, creating a rusty sludge. So having blown everything out, I have had two goes with radiator cleaner which shifted some more, but was pretty clean. Still a bit nervous about the temperatires but with antifreeze and distilled water in it it seems to be behaving itself.

We set off for Le Mans next week which is 1000 mile round trip, so I want to limit the problems on the journey.

OP
K

Konrod

Re: Tyre question, and an up-date

Sorry, should have said that. 165 R 80 on 15" wires, so pretty much standard size.

James Christie

Freshman Member
Country flag

Try 24psi ar front and 26 psi at rear. Then you can fiddle around adjusting according to your requirements

james

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag

When I had new Michelin XZX 165SR15s put on new wire wheels by Hendrix Wire Wheel in January, they recommended 30psi all the way around.

Keith
1957 TR3 TS20447LO

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

I am probably an extreme outlier here but I run 34psi front and 36psi rear. Harsher ride to be sure but lighter steering.

I believe that so long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure noted on the sidewalls you can experiment to discover what works best for you.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

In the current thread 'Steering' I see this comment:

...Tires and how they are inflated makes a big difference too. I run about 32/36 instead of the 24/32 given in the book (for radials).

Just something to keep in mind as you explore higher air pressure.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

I suppose one could try the old trick of some white shoe polish across the treads and well up the sidewalls inside and out, followed by some "spirited" cornering (think autocross/ Solo II style stuff) and then observe how much of the shoe polish you wear off and how far up the sidewall. Obviously too far up the sidewall is not a good thing.)

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I suppose one could try the old trick of some white shoe polish across the treads and well up the sidewalls inside and out, followed by some "spirited" cornering (think autocross/ Solo II style stuff) and then observe how much of the shoe polish you wear off and how far up the sidewall. Obviously too far up the sidewall is not a good thing.)
The exact opposite of a sport bike. Used to call the unscuffed area up near the rim "chicken Strips" :highly_amused: