• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A New challenge at 81

mgf

Country flag
Group:

At age 81 I've run into a new challenge.

I live alone in a leased Garden Apartment with a single car garage in Central Ohio (Johnstown).

I've been given 60 days to quit using my garage to work on my 6 year TR3A Restoration & all car parts have to go.

I'd like to continue living here if possible.

Looking for creative solutions.

Thanks,

mgf

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! Sorry to hear!

Is there a nearby car club whose members might be able to offer space? Rental storage unit?

SHEESH! Please keep us posted on this.

Mickey

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I rented a garage space (car size unit) in a local "rental storage unit" place, to store and work on my 1958 Mercedes-Benz. Worked on it there for over a year, while I was saving up to have a garage of my own. Only limitation was I couldn't use large power equipment.

Keep us posted on what you do.
Tom M.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Wow. Terrible news, sorry to hear about that!!

Where are you at in your restoration? I think the answer is quite different if you have a bunch of metal work to do (need access to electric and ability to make noise; perhaps painting), or if it is final assembly (need for decent lighting and space).

Obviously it is a rental, so closing the door only helps for the day - landlords have a right to enter property for valid reasons. I assume there is a "safety" (perceived or real) issue to clear the car stuff out - thus the landlord likely has the "legal right" to enter. (I am not a lawyer, but have lived in a few rental properties.)

On this note, if there is no "safety" issue, could you call a lawyer? If you are within the bounds of the law (no noise or hazardous fumes, cleanliness, etc.), the landlord cannot tell you what to do inside your unit.

Has the landlord given you any specifics of why they find your car work bad? Perhaps you could work with them - perhaps agree that you pay to have the garage refinished when the project is done, perhaps only work during certain hours, etc.

Good luck!!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd start by reviewing the lease, to see if you are in fact violating it. Does it say you cannot store a car in the garage if it is not assembled? Or that you cannot work on a car in the garage?

Is your goal to do a restoration? Or to have a restored car? If it's the latter, I know someone not too far from you (about 200 miles) that might be willing to complete the restoration for you (for a price of course).

If you do have to move into a storage unit, ask about AC power available. A portable AC unit plus a small generator might make it tolerable, barely, in the summer.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
So you have been working on it for 6 years and now it is a problem. I would like to see a picture. I am getting older also, but at 81 how much work are you doing? You could adopt me and I will deal with them. Yeh look at the lease-- people have cars in the other garages and I bet they do stuff; it would depend on the interpretation of work and objective opinion. I might fight it in court. The type of work- safety -fumes -and stuff like that could be a real problem for you, but really it does depend. Is there anyone supportive of your hobby? It might be they want you out for another reason or some cry baby would rather deal with/look at you than themselves. We need to form like a Hells Angel group of LBC and all drive out there for a road trip.

tomshobby

Yoda
I have been fortunate to rent a place with a single stall garage where the landlord is favorable to my restoration of my Midget and my TR6 over the last 10 or 12 years. On the other hand my wife and I have shrived to be the best renters possible. He had a run of less than desirable renters over the years and he has mentioned several times that we are the best he has had and wants us to stay.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
While I don’t have a solution to the problem at hand, I do remember rebuilding my 1966 Spitfire engine in the apartment complex’s carport! This was in Riverside, California, circa 1974. Landlord nor neighbors never said a word!

Keith Jordan

OP
M

mgf

Country flag
Wow, I've known for sometime now that this group has talented, educated, experienced, etc. people but didn't know about their empathy for a fellow member!

I'm very appreciative & uplifted for all your responses!

I'll try to address all your feedbacks individually but for now let me update you as a group.

I've found an individual 20 miles away. We are in the process of placing a rented shed on his farm property.

He has a 3-car garage, a good sized free-standing work shop & a High Bay Building.

Compared to my 12'x20' garage it's a Triumph Restorer's best dream.

I'll try to update you periodically as this path unfolds.

Again, thanks!

mgf

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way to go! Hope it all works out for you.