• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Request pictures of TR3B & TR4 electric temperature gauges

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My bulb temperature gauge went out on my TR3 and I'd like to convert to an electric gauge. The thermostat housing I have will accept the TR4 sending unit. While at TRA we saw a TR3B that had an electric sending unit but had a gauge that looked just like the original TR3 gauge. So I'm wondering if there is an electric gauge that looks like the original TR3 gauge. And if not, I'm wondering what variations of electric gauges Triumph may have used in the TR3B, TR4 and TR4A so I could try to find one that looks most similar to the TR3 gauge. Thanks for the help!!
Bob

p.s. I also posted this request on Triumph Experience.

Last edited:
Country flag
Bob,
early TR4s had the rounded glass like the TR3 but are electric. You can also get any TR4 guage, remove flat glass and replace with TR3 glass. You will need install voltage stabilizer as well for the TR4 guage. Sending unit in the gas tank will have to be replaced with TR4 unit as well. They read backwards from each other.
Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No reason you can't keep the TR3 fuel gauge (meaning the tank sending unit doesn't have to change either).

This is an early TR4 gauge mounted in my TR3.
c5sMnWF.jpg

To me, the later TR4 gauge looks way out of place even if you do replace the glass.
gARwK4T.jpg

PS, I think I have a later gauge that has already got the curved glass installed. An "oops" from eBay (my fault so I didn't try to return it). PM me if you'd like to buy it.

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Randall! This helps! Thanks for the offer to buy the later gauge, but I'm going to try to find an early TR4 gauge since it would match the other gauges better.
Bob

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The temp numbers on the TR4 gauge ( at least all the ones that I have seen) are different than the TR3 gauge. TR4 starts at 110 F and ends at 250 F, rather than 90 F and 230 F for the TR3. I don't know if that matters to you. Why don't you just have your original gauge rebuilt. Places like Nisonger and others do it for a reasonable price.

https://www.nisonger.com/

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Art. I did not notice the numbering difference, but my car is not close to being stock, so I'd just rather have an electric temperature gauge, but one that looks quite similar to the TR3 gauge, which the early TR4 gauge seems to be.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Indeed, I have never had anyone point out the numbers, unless I told them first. A Concours judge might spot it, but most won't.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would like to convert to the early 4 gauge but my original gauge is metric. Do you suppose I could use my original face on a 4 gauge?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry, I've never had the TR4 gauge apart, so I don't know. Might work, they certainly look similar enough.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I also have the early TR4 gauge that looks exactly like Randalls. I took mine apart and cleaned it up but it's important not to use a harsh cleaner on the face as it is easy to clean the white markings completely off. In the past 3 years of shows, drives and critical examinations, no one (including myself) has ever noticed that my scale was 'incorrect'.

The TR4 gauge can be adjusted/calibrated to closely match the sending unit -assuming you have a good functioning voltage regulator (I used a solid state 10v regulator).

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or it may be a TR3 gauge with the capillary tube chopped off (range is 90° - 230°).
That's what I think.

Or maybe the tube just isn't shown. Regardless, the ad says "Needs work", which to me almost guarantees that it doesn't work now.

And $60 is way high for a core, IMO. I also have a strong dislike for sellers who claim their part is "for" some car that never came with that part originally. The Spit & Gt6 gauges look quite a bit different.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think I'll look for an early 4 gauge and see if I can use the metric face. I repaired mine a year ago with a tube from an aftermarket gauge and it lasted a few months, which was about the same use I got from the professional rebuild a couple years before.