• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A good car - doomed by its own info-tainment system?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Toyota Camry has been a popular sedan for many years. Always highly rated, with good reliability and owner satisfaction.

Until ... the latest "Entune" info-tainment system.

"Entune promises to consolidate mobile apps and related functionality into the vehicle's center console display. This includes navigation, car status, entertainment, and even remote connect for things like unlocking doors and starting the engine. The problem, it appears, is that it forces Camry users to utilize a buggy app to access these features. If the app doesn't work, the whole car, in many aspects, doesn't work. That's problematic, as you can imagine."

https://media.thinknum.com/articles/toyotas-entune-app-suite-for-camry-has-users-frustrated/

Paul (pdplot) mentioned the frequency of "haters and lovers" in another thread. Looks like Entune doesn't have many lovers - and buyers are turning down the Camry because of it.

yikes

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - good point. But the Entune system was introduced in the 2016 model year, and that's when the complaints began.

My 1958 Rambler didn't have problems with electronics. Matter of fact, it didn't have electronics at all! :banana:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We have a 2015 Highlander with Entune; have to say it can be problematic, but it only affects the sound system and cell phone usage. We listen to Pandora, and dropouts are commonplace. Often the fix is to "uninstall" the app on the phone - sometimes both Entune and Pandora - and reinstall. An annoyance to be sure, but doesn't otherwise affect the car.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Mickey. From that article I linked, sounds like the latest Entune systems cover a lot more than sound.

(Remember the hospital touch-screen diagnosis system in Idiocracy?)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like Entune must be a Microsoft product.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't really know if the issue is the Entune system, Pandora, the cell phone, or Verizon. Or a combination. Other than the occasional hiccup, it performs pretty well.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave - good point. But the Entune system was introduced in the 2016 model year, and that's when the complaints began.

Show how closely I follow Camry developments. In fact, I only ever considered a Toyota once while shopping for a car over 10 years back.

D

Deleted member 8987

Sounds like Entune must be a Microsoft product.

oh, good lord have mercy. Windoze Ten....mandatory update....car stops in the middle of the freeway until the updates are complete, then re-starts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
oh, good lord have mercy. Windoze Ten....mandatory update....car stops in the middle of the freeway until the updates are complete, then re-starts.

[h=2]Three engineers are riding in a car.[/h]

[FONT=&quot]One is a mechanical engineer, one is an electrical engineer, and one is a computer engineer.
The car breaks down and coasts to the side of the road.
"Hang on," says the mechanical engineer. "The problem is probably the engine, let me have a look at it and I'll have us on the road again in no time."
"Wait," says the electrical engineer. "The way it just stopped like that, I think it's the electrical system. Let me have a look and I'll get us going again in a minute or two."
"Hold on," says the computer engineer. "Why don't we all just get out of the car and get in again, and then see if it starts?"
[/FONT]

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Hold on," says the computer engineer. "Why don't we all just get out of the car and get in again, and then see if it starts?"

That is funny!

chickenclickyes.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Took the MG out to breakfast this morning, it didn't order anything. But it did go the distance to the restaurant and back to th' hovel without incident. It has a radio, seldom turned on. The only concession to "electronics" has been to put some relays between switches and devices. Those on the electric fan, the horns and a set of Lucas Square-8's.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Interesting news item today (not cars) but "connected" devices being used by ex's to torment - turning heat up/ air off/ lights radio on and off to essentially cyber-stalk. not just recommending reboots and new passwords but, changing the recovery question as a vindictive ex would know your maiden name etc etc.