• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Proposed automotive tariff would slap a 25 percent import duty on classic cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
What is this saying? Buy the car now! Tariff's are an executive order, so their not permanent. Buy now or wait until the storm passes!!

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Imagine how a 25% tariff on imported steel will effect steel prices in general. Our non-profit museum finally raised funds to build a long-needed 3000 sq ft steel storage building. If the contractor buys steel - even USA produced steel - tariffs on imported steel will result in domestic steel prices going up also. And that cuts deeply into our budget.

Just who is the tariff actually helping?

TM

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Why should American products be charged 20+% on our manufactured products to sell in Europe, Canada, Mexico, China, S/Korea ect? Asked the miners and steel producers In Minnesota if they feel that it's fair for their products to be charged huge tariffs when imported steel/aluminum only pays 3%? How about 300% tariff to ship New York dairy products into Canada? Equal trade is what has to be establish…

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Realizing that this thread is going to get locked (rightly) in about 2 seconds.

Curiously no mention is made that American dairy products are subsidized to the tune of 73%

https://www.realagriculture.com/201...-percent-of-producer-returns-says-new-report/

nor that while almost 700,000 jobs were lost in the USA due to NAFTA 5 million were created

https://www.thebalance.com/nafta-pros-and-cons-3970481

for me though the real issue is threefold.

1. any deal for anything has each side give something and get something - if one side gets everything and the other nothing it isn't a deal.

2. trade deficits come because a country consumes more than it produces - this is an internal issue

3. The real problem with free trade is that it is predicated on the idea that I would sell you my products and you would sell me mine and we both would benefit. It never imagined that you would close your factory in your (more expensive) country re-open in a cheaper country and sell the products back to the original country. Barbara Kellerman (The End of Leadership) notes that in the past decade Fortune 100 companies got rid of 2.9 million American jobs and created 2.3 million jobs in other countries. This is greed pure and simple.

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Imagine how a 25% tariff on imported steel will effect steel prices in general. Our non-profit museum finally raised funds to build a long-needed 3000 sq ft steel storage building. If the contractor buys steel - even USA produced steel - tariffs on imported steel will result in domestic steel prices going up also. And that cuts deeply into our budget.

Just who is the tariff actually helping?

TM

US Steel producers have been unfairly abused over the last 30 years.
Domestic capacity has been reduced. We are net importers.
Jobs that paid good money gone. Manufacturing has moved to service jobs.
Jobs that a Blue Collar worker could do and live a life that provided opportunities for his family.
Nice to see the start of them coming back.

What industry is still alive in CT? Shipbuilding? Only because we cannot off-shore Nuclear Subs.

We started moving production back to the US since Trump announced even the threat.
What is the effect?
This week. 1 Billion $ new plant announced for Ohio. 1000 good paying jobs.
Arkansas 1.3 Billion in a new plant.
Texas 500 Million $ expansion.
The list goes on.

As with everything, some win some lose but it is nice to have a level playing field. I know there are companies that will suffer. For instance a Locker Mfg company said they will have to close one of the 3 plants they have in Ohio. They currently make 3-5 dollars per locker and they will have to now compete with China. Maybe it is time for them to figure another way to compete or develop new products. Connecticut was big in wool and textiles, I imagine that these jobs went overseas due to low wages and an unfair playing field.
Let the negotiating begin.
I hope I don't offend anyone. I think it was a valid question from Mac.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I was surprised to find out (in the middle of building a house) that lumber prices, all lumber prices from framing to decking to hw floors have gone up 20-30% due to lower lumber production from our good neighbor to the north. The mere threat of tariffs has increased my cost by over $50k US and since it’s probably a temporary issue, it’s money I’ll never see again. I really could have used that money to go in my LBC coffers!
Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I appreciate the initial discussion topic as it does impact our hobby, but we do need to keep things out of politics. Thread is locked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.