• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prince of Dimness

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hooking up all the lights is the next step. I was cleaning the tail lights and checking which connector was the parking light or brake light. I got inconsistent impedance with the ohm meter and inconsistent brightness. I started cleaning the connectors and realized the contacts are each 2 pieces and rivited together. My first inclination was to take them apart, clean everything up and reassemble with screws. This would be hard to do in the limited space and deal with the insulation between layers.

My next idea was to upgrade the sockets to use modern flat light bulbs. I couldn’t find any sockets that are small enough to easily fit in their same space.

Replacing with new ones from Moss would have the same poor design.

Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest. I drilled out the rivets and replaced the entire socket with a new generic socket held in place by a metal hose clamp. The number of failure points is signicantly reduced. Pic below for reference. This is a cheap and easy way to upgrade your old corroded light sockets.

C70F5444-7EAA-4216-B7B8-500678D8A3DC.jpeg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David,
Great solution to an old problem!
Thanks, Rut

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It’s such a shame that today’s battery’s can’t produce enough current to cross 60’s electrical connections.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It’s such a shame that today’s battery’s can’t produce enough current to cross 60’s electrical connections.

of course because today's batterys are current - not historical :grin:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Groan JP Groan!