• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lost Photos Found

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Sorry for being so sentimental, but somehow this photo reappeared after being lost for 25 years, our youngest son and his two boys. As some of you know, we lost him 5 years ago to a 4 wheeler accident and it's the only photo of him holding the two boys, which we thought lost forever. The boys are 30 and 31 now. Not a day goes by I don't think of him. Another picture taken at the same time of one of the boys and our granddaughter, who is now teaching school in Pennsylvania. She has also given us two beautiful great grandchildren! Where does the time go, when all of this seems like yesterday.
View attachment 54202View attachment 54203

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's GREAT news Paul... a lost treasure found!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Precious! "Frozen instants of time". Treasures. Hard to convey the import in this time of 'social media' the impact an image like that has to those of us who are "more mature". Glad you discovered that, Paul. It's a family heirloom.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Here's a picture of the same tractor he was restoring before we lost him. He found out that John Deere's engine division went on strike and they would have to stop production of this tractor, being in competition with other companies starting to build smaller diesels, JD had to do something, so JD got with GM to buy their 2 cyl diesel for this model 435 and production continued. It is one of the rarest JDs of modern times since so few were built before JDs engine plant went back into production. As it's seat is also one of the rare ones, he was working on getting the correct seat upholstery for it. The tractor has never been used since and is in dry storage.

View attachment 54328

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
very cool! I do feel like he would have wanted to see it finished.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here's a picture of the same tractor he was restoring before we lost him. He found out that John Deere's engine division went on strike and they would have to stop production of this tractor, being in competition with other companies starting to build smaller diesels, JD had to do something, so JD got with GM to buy their 2 cyl diesel for this model 435 and production continued. It is one of the rarest JDs of modern times since so few were built before JDs engine plant went back into production. As it's seat is also one of the rare ones, he was working on getting the correct seat upholstery for it. The tractor has never been used since and is in dry storage.

View attachment 54328

Looks like it belongs in a museum! Beautiful!

catfood

Jedi Knight
Sadly very few photos make it onto paper these days. These digitally stored photos will be lost to future generations as people scrap computers without thinking. Those digital pictures that are saved will become anonymous as no one can scribble on the back the who, the what and the when

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sadly very few photos make it onto paper these days. These digitally stored photos will be lost to future generations as people scrap computers without thinking. Those digital pictures that are saved will become anonymous as no one can scribble on the back the who, the what and the when

we are slowly <slowly> working to taking the time to making books from our adventures, shutterfly etc. etc. cheap and easy and you are "encouraged" to choose the best pics.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Remember the olden days, when you got about a dozen or two of photos on a roll of film. You got them back from the developer/printer, and could write details on the back?

Now you take 300 photos, upload them, and hope someone looks at them. I remember a few years ago, when a friend sent me a link to his car show photos. Over 700. A few days later, he emailed me - "Why did you only make comments on the first page of photos?"

oy

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had to check around to get the last roll of 35mm film developed, seems like very few want to be bothered with the process anymore. I have 2 high tech 35mm Cannons with various lenses etc just setting in the bags wasting away. I don't even know where I could buy film around here anymore. I have a roll, in a can, of exposed 8mm film of the boys that got lost in the sauce over time when they were little, but no one has the chemicals to develop it. Some said it's no good, but I would pay for someone to try. No takers, sad but true. :concern: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There are still labs dotted around the country that will process Kodachrome, Paul. Ektachrome color neg and B&W developers are still out there as well.

I've got enough 35MM gear to open a camera store... yeah, right. Mebbe if it were 1977. Dropped my PP of A membership sometime in the late '90's. As far as I'm concerned, photojournalism died with the advent of digital photography (and photo manipulation software).

Plenty of examples of fraudulent, manipulated imagery passed off as journalism, including at least one from a Pulitzer winner. Very disappointing. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Much harder to lie with film. I can do some magic in a darkroom, but the neg/slide is still that instant out of time, recorded. Now everything is subject to the jaundiced eye.