• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission Cover Fastener question

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am attempting to remove the transmission cover on my BN6. While the fasteners attaching the cover to the floor panels are conventional sheet metal screws, there are fasters attaching the front flange to the bulkhead that appear to be rivets? At first I thought they might be hex or torx head screws, but when I inserted an allen wrench I was able to push it right through the center of the fastener, which leads me to believe it's a rivet.

Why a rivet? Is this a standard detail? Maybe the threads in the bulkhead got stripped and the PO/restorer wanted to avoid a large sheet metal screw for aesthetic reasons? Assuming it is a rivet, is my only option is to drill it out? Any advice is appreciated.

Note: One of the pictures has been rotated 90 degrees by the BCF uploading process..

Attachments

• tunnel fastener 2.JPG
    tunnel fastener 2.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 139
  • tunnel fastener 1.JPG
    tunnel fastener 1.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 142

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not sure about a BN6, but those fasteners on my BT7 have always been Phillip (or Posidrive) head sheet Metal screws.

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OK, so they should be Phillips screws. Any thoughts about the fasteners I have encountered? Thanks.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
The one in the 1st pic looks suspiciously like the male half of a carpet snap.

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Interesting...if that's what they are then maybe the screws that actually secure the tunnel to the bulkhead are hidden under the bulkhead carpet? I'll peel it back further and have a look. Thanks for the reply,

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Turns out those fasteners are rivets. They go right through the bulkhead. Guess I will need to drill them out and replace with screws. Question...is it necessary to remove the seat frames, which are bolted to the floor, in order to remove the transmission tunnel? I would rather not, but the trans/tunnel flange that screws into the floor is very wide. Thanks.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Turns out those fasteners are rivets. They go right through the bulkhead. Guess I will need to drill them out and replace with screws. Question...is it necessary to remove the seat frames, which are bolted to the floor, in order to remove the transmission tunnel? I would rather not, but the trans/tunnel flange that screws into the floor is very wide. Thanks.

You should be able to unbolt the lower seat frames from the slides, lift the seats out and move the inner slides all the way to the rear. If you can't remove the tunnel at that point, you'll need to remove the inner slides from under the car.

On my car, I don't have to remove the slides. IIRC, the tunnel flange may be notched where it aligns with the front of the inner slides.

PS - my car - and the Moss catalog - have no screws or rivets connecting the tunnel to the extension panel as shown in the pictures above.

OP
nevets

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks steveg

I'm not sure why there are rivets fastening the tunnel to the bulkhead? Interesting that you don't have any fasteners along that flange. I'm guessing the restorer used fasteners to hold the cover snug to the bulkhead for a neater look?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks steveg

I'm not sure why there are rivets fastening the tunnel to the bulkhead? Interesting that you don't have any fasteners along that flange. I'm guessing the restorer used fasteners to hold the cover snug to the bulkhead for a neater look?
Probably to help keep the heat out.