• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anti-run on solution

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've been plagued by run on for years, including after my rebuild. Ran across an article in Norm Nock's book re adapting an MGB/TR6 anti-run on valve (ARV) to Healeys.

It works!

On engine shutdown, an always-hot relay activates the timer, which powers the valve for 10 seconds; the valve opens and allows engine vacuum to connect to the carb overflow tubes, resulting in immediate shutoff of fuel to the combustion chambers. During normal running the path for the overflow tubes is open to the atmosphere and the engine vacuum is sealed off. Servo operation - while engine running - not affected.

Had to get rid of my PCV valve, though, as the ARV requires all the engine vacuum in order to work.

Nock used an MGB oil pressure warning light switch to operate the ARV, but I replaced that with an inexpensive delay timer.

Details at: https://www.pbase.com/stevegerow/healey_tech

AntiRunOnInstalled.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now that is cute, I had to ditch the PCV unit also it created crank case pressure.

However, a simpler fix for Run on is :
1 push in clutch
2 Press brake pedal
3 shut engine off
4 ease clutch out

Stop it every time --LOL

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I was looking for a more advanced solution so I could do plug cuts to check my supertuning without worrying about the engine running on or even backwards.

Not sure how evacuating the crankcase with a PCV would contribute to leaks. Mine seems to have sprung a valve cover leak since removing the PCV.

With the stock vent tube setup, no concerns over leaning out the mixture, though.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve--

That's an interesting way of dealing with the problem of running on, though it does not investigate or cure the cause which can be hard to find and remedy as it may be due to one of several things (or multiples thereof) ranging from a hot spot to a fouled plug to an air leak, etc. But don't you think that this "fix" might be masking something that will prohibit you from achieving the high state of tune that you seek through supertuning? In other words, if this valve allows you to "tolerate" an air leak or a fouled plug how will you know of that issue's presence and repair/eliminate it?

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Steve
Also my car suffered the same symptoms - use of 100 octane fuel cured it perfectly
Bad green fuel are the actual problem on all country

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Steve
Also my car suffered the same symptoms - use of 100 octane fuel cured it perfectly
Bad green fuel are the actual problem on all country

Andrea:
I think you may be right, when traveling my first fill up is with leaded fuel not sold at the pumps here in CA, from then on I can usually find leaded fuel across the USA.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Andrea - you may be right. I won't get out of state with my car until summer of 2019 and like Keoke have to be satisfied with the Calif-brew gas/ethanol until then.

Michael - it must have been part of normal running in the '70s or British Leyland wouldn't have equipped all kinds of MGs, Triumphs, Jags and Sprites with it.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve--

I sent you a PM.

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve--

That's an interesting way of dealing with the problem of running on, though it does not investigate or cure the cause which can be hard to find and remedy as it may be due to one of several things (or multiples thereof) ranging from a hot spot to a fouled plug to an air leak, etc. But don't you think that this "fix" might be masking something that will prohibit you from achieving the high state of tune that you seek through supertuning? In other words, if this valve allows you to "tolerate" an air leak or a fouled plug how will you know of that issue's presence and repair/eliminate it?

Michael -
I would argue that run on is a more-or-less common condition, not necessarily indicative of a larger problem. My newly rebuilt engine has only 2500 miles on it and runs very strong, so I think probems such as described are unlikely, although I'll conduct plug cuts to check things out.

Supportive anecdotes:
Back in the 50s & 60s, air cooled VWs had an anti-run on solenoid on the carb.
Norm Nock's original article (Nock Book, Pg 157) was dated 1996. He stated that he built the solution because at tech sessions people would ask him how to stop run on, and in fact his car exhibited it. He also discusses various methods factories used to fight this common problem.

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Keoke, If the PCV gives excess pressure in the crank try fitting a restrictor in the line to the inlet manifold. It worked on my MGTF. All I did was drill a small hole in an inch long piece of steel rod and rammed it into the pipe. You may need to play around with the diameter of the hole before you get it right.
AJ