• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Penrite semi fluid steering box lube?

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Invert the plastic bottle and squeeze the contents into the steering box . Run the steering box through its travel so the lube settles and add more .

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Invert the plastic bottle and squeeze the contents into the steering box . Run the steering box through its travel so the lube settles and add more .

Not that simple. The Penrite bottle opening is about 1&1/4" wide....the steering box fill hole is about 3/4" wide so that would necessitate using a funnel. The fluid is so thick it would just stay in the funnel and take forever to drain in. I thought someone mentioned a Marine "grease gun" that pumped heavy fluids?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, everyone I have seen has a tube in the top.

To fill the system you want the top off the box. To top it up I can usually coax some in thru the hole with the rubber plug (using a funnel). It helps to have the front end off the ground so you can twiddle the steering wheel side-to-side to get the stuff in there.

I usually do this on a day when it is 109° (like earlier this week).

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No clear tube dispenser in the bottle I bought. Guess I'll have to improvise one.:chargrined:

I am restoring my 1954 TR-2. I have removed all the wiring, including the harness running through the steering column. The fluid has now begun to leak out. I put paper under the box, and it is still leaking out. How much does the box hold? What has kept the fluid from leaking out before I removed the wiring bundle?
From this article I assume I refill it, after the restoration is complete; with Penrite lube?

Dick V.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
My TR3 box was dry or nearly at 91,000 mi. when I chipped the hardened grease etc. from the filler cap on the top. After filling it with Penrite its been holding for 3 months now.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use Penrite a nd finds it works well - but in the interest of full disclosure: not everyone agrees this is the best choice or course of action.

It is heavier than what the manual calls for (that is why it leak more slowly) some even resort to grease rather than oil (okay they're all grease but I mean something like wheel grease.

The best practice is a rebuild of the steering box for easier steering and no leaks.

Dick - did you disturb the nut on the bottom end of the stator tube when you worked with the wiring?

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Heat it in boiling water. Then it will pour more like a fluid.

That did the trick. I pored it into a small pump oil can and pumped it into the fill hole on the box. Any idea how much oil the box is supposed to hold? I filled it to wht looked like the top but it might take more once it settles?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
If you have the top off the box, I would suggest not moving the steering wheel because the shaft can pop up and off the worm gear.