Thread: Perry Mason Triumphs.

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perry Mason Triumphs.

Have started watching the old black and white Perry Mason series. In the last two weeks I have seen a TR3, early TR4 and this week a Herald convertible. Perry himself usually drives some type of American convertible, 60s T Bird and big Mercury are some of the recent ones.
    Marv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Re: Perry Mason Triumphs.

Retirement comes for me within the next two weeks. I have told anyone silly enough to ask that I plan to start my days watching Perry Mason on MeTV. I've seen at least one episode with a TR3. I'll be looking for the TR4 and Herald.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Don't remember any British cars, but I do remember Mason's investigator, Paul Drake, drove a T-bird, depending on the year of the series.
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6, Victor TF
    ------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey Richaud For This Useful Post:

TRMark  (06-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A fun resource is the Internet Movie Car Database: http://www.imcdb.org

Car spotters can id just about any motorized vehicle in movies or television.

Take a look.

It is not complete as I know that there are at least two episodes that have a TR3 and the IMCDB lists only one..

Roger
    1957 Triumph TR3 TS21383L "Bettie"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My wife and I bought the complete DVD set and have watched all the episodes.
    Don't jump on me too hard as the following will be off the top of my head.
    In the beginning Perry drove a BIG black Cadillac. '56 or thereabouts. I have wondered if it someone's car in the production company.
    Then Perry started driving Lincolns and Paul drove Thunderbirds. Della was sometimes seen in her Ford Fairlane(?). There was credit at the end for "Automobiles supplied by The Ford Motor Company". Note the marketing forces here. Successful attorney= Lincoln. Dashing detective= Tbird. Practical secretary= Fairlane.
    There also a few shots of Perry in a lesser Ford as if he had the Lincoln for cruising and the Galaxie(?) for around town.
    For a VERY short time in the early '60s Perry was driving a Cadillac again and Paul was driving a Corvette. There was credit at end for "Automobiles supplied by General Motors". This quickly switched back Fords after about 3 or 4 episodes. You can certainly guess what happened ( Free? No you pay! No you pay!) but I don't really know.
    The Triumphs were certainly scattered about. The young tough ala "Rebel Without a Cause" in a TR3. Werner Klemperer (Colonel Klink "Hogan's Heroes") as a nasty E. German in a TR3. The TR4 driven by a young debutant. I may have that wrong as memory fades.
    I have Michael Cook's "Triumph Cars in America" on the way and wonder if he sheds any light on this and other product placement campaigns.
    There is one episode that deals with sports car racing where a fellow invents a new, radical transmission(?) that will revolutionize the world. I don't know the cars but there a several sports racing cars of the period in the background shots. Fun stuff.
    Enjoy the series and keep your eyes open- the background shots in parking lots and on the street have many interesting cars.
    Have fun,
    Joel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 18kperhr For This Useful Post:

TRMark  (06-15-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

How about a Healey?

Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Russian copy of an Austin Healy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Triumphs were possibly used to suggest the nature of the character: irresponsible, devious, reckless -- though I also recall an episode where the office 'wolf' picked up girls in his Big Healey.

At least they didn't wreck any that I recall.