• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Phishing

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Oh bugger... seems my Amazon account has been hacked! My email was changed to an account ending in "ru." Those clever Russians! :wink-new:[SUB][/SUB] Anyway, Amazon is supposed to fix it in the next 24 hours. I wonder how these hackers do this.

Seems like the phishing expeditions are becoming more frequent with me (though I don't bite). In the last month, I've had MANY emails that my Apple iCloud account has changed (password, etc.) but I don't even have an iCloud account! "Click here to fix your account." <snicker>

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Oh bugger... seems my Amazon account has been hacked! My email was changed to an account ending in "ru." Those clever Russians! :wink-new: Anyway, Amazon is supposed to fix it in the next 24 hours. I wonder how these hackers do this.

Seems like the phishing expeditions are becoming more frequent with me (though I don't bite). In the last month, I've had MANY emails that my Apple iCloud account has changed (password, etc.) but I don't even have an iCloud account! "Click here to fix your account." <snicker>

I never click on a link in an email. If I get a notice from someplace that says I need to do anything that involves clicking a link, I ignore it. I will sometimes visit the site directly and long in to check things, but I never click on a link in an email unless I am certain who it is from and what it is for. I also highlight the link and see what the "real" URL is.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I do the same... and recognize these attempts for what they are. It's amazing how sophisticated these fake websites are. I never trust them. However, in this case, I went directly to Amazon and couldn't log in... and the nefarious email popped up! So, they've disabled my account and will protect the credit card info (and block any purchases) while I re-set it all.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just received a very official email from โ€œBank of America โ€œ. The problem is Iโ€™ve never used them for anything. Also in the body of the email they capitalize the A in account.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I just received a very official email from โ€œBank of America โ€œ. The problem is Iโ€™ve never used them for anything. Also in the body of the email they capitalize the A in account.

Yeah, on my Yahoo junk account I get emails all the time from banks I don't belong to.

Country flag
Was a story on the national news last night about a couple that but for the speedy work of the FBI would have lost half a million in a fake real estate swindle. Seems they were buying a place and somehow scammers not only faked their agent's email and website but somehow rerouted calls from them to their number while still showing as the correct number being called in their phone. Got them to do a supposed transfer to the real estate agent that was diverted to an account they owned. Had the buyers not figured it out quicker and the scammer been faster moving the money on, they would have lost all of it. These sort of things are why I not only don't hit embedded links but I don't store credit information "for convenience" on websites I buy from. May take a couple minutes longer but I prefer doing them as one use and delete so hopefully there's nothing to steal if a vendor gets hacked.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've received a few fake ones from Wells Fargo. The sad thing is that I suspect a LOT of unsavvy people (notably the elderly) will fall for this crap.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Whew. Received a real email from Amazon (no links) to re-log in at their site and change my password. During the re-authentication process they did ask for the expiration date of my credit card on file. All seems OK now.

I'd previously spoken with them and had to authenticate by giving them my real email, the fake email listed and my home address... then tech support contacted me.

I wonder, though, HOW did someone hack the account if they didn't know my password or credit card info. And why wouldn't it just happen again?