Thread: Rain, rain, rain, rain and rain

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Rain, rain, rain, rain and rain

I haven't posted much because I haven't been driving much. The D.C. area picked up 10 inches of rain during May, and, so far, June has been a repeat with the rain coming primarily on the weekends, although maybe this weekend I may finally be able to get the car out.

We're having our carpets taken out and replaced with hardwood in our house, so I have to kick the Sprite out of the garage during this process so I can move all the crap that we have to move out of the way for the flooring guys. The car will be under a cover. I'm not crazy about doing this, but I really don't have a choice. I figure for one week, it should be okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Rain, rain, rain, rain and rain

Quote Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
    I haven't posted much because I haven't been driving much. The D.C. area picked up 10 inches of rain during May, and, so far, June has been a repeat with the rain coming primarily on the weekends, although maybe this weekend I may finally be able to get the car out.

We're having our carpets taken out and replaced with hardwood in our house, so I have to kick the Sprite out of the garage during this process so I can move all the crap that we have to move out of the way for the flooring guys. The car will be under a cover. I'm not crazy about doing this, but I really don't have a choice. I figure for one week, it should be okay.
    do you have a friend with an empty garage?
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    do you have a friend with an empty garage?
    Not really, and not one that would appreciate oil dripping on it. I have an Ultimate Car Cover from CarCovers.com meant for my '53 Plymouth, which is now in one of those temporary garage structures. To say it's a bit big for the Sprite is an understatement, but I was able to take out the slack and get a decent fit. Even though it's really not a problem in my neighborhood, I also used my theft deterrent system -- disconnected the battery and pulled the coil wire.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

After a month of sitting outside, Baby Blue has returned to its rightful spot in the garage, and all is right with the world again.

When the floor people started work, when they pulled up our downstairs carpet, they found black mold. We had to stop everything and get the mold remediated. Then we had to get put back on the schedule again. That finally happened this week. Now, I can finally take care of the bent wheels.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad you caught the mold issue.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

...and the rain has come back. It's been raining almost every day. I think the pattern will finally change this weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's the same for us. It's rained every day for over a week. Last night we got another 3" of rain. Everything is soaked and when it's not raining the humidity rises to over 90%. Like you I am hoping for a drier weekend!
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1