• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Aston-Style Gas Caps

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So I have a dilemma. Went to fill up, took off my regular cap, filled up, go to put the cap on and the cap seal is gone ... not on the ground under the car, etc., etc. I suspect it went down the neck and now resides in the bowels of my tank.

So it's upgrade time. I like the look of the Aston caps, but my question is, How does the adaptor collar fit onto the filler tube?
Does it lock onto the existing twist lock tabs?

Will that not make it sit way too high above the body line?

Anybody got pics of their Aston caps on their Healeys and how they fit? :encouragement::encouragement:

Last edited by a moderator:

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Denis Welch Motosports U.K website has some good pics of Aston and Monza - Style Filler caps. This is a two-part/piece installation where caps screw on to a brass threaded collar that's brazed or glued to the business end of filler neck. It's a flush fit. However; IMHO the Aston Filler Cap is too large and somewhat detracts from the body lines of the Healey, so I decided on the smaller Monza style. Gonzo

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So the Monza cap is less bulky but still 2 1/2” . I can handle the brazing/soldering of the collar onto the filler neck no problem but I dont want some big ugly cap stuck up like a big pimple on a skinny guys butt if you get my drift .

dcarlg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I didn't like how the Aston gas cap looked too tall, so got a chrome locking cap instead.
You wanna buy a barely used Aston gas cap?
Or just get a new seal.
Regards. Douglas

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It seems that the Aston Caps are very bulky and The Monza caps are lower profile sleeker looking .
A quick search on flea bay finds lots of Monza caps and collars at way way less than the usual suspects . And dollars to donuts they will be the same .

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is the one I got from Denis Welch. The collar fits around the filler tube. I epoxied mine in place, then drilled and threaded through the collar and tube for a couple of set screws. The cap is threaded on the collar and the set screws are installed from the inside so the cap can't be easily unthreaded. It sits down on the rubber grommet.

Aston Cap Outside.jpgAston Cap Inside.jpg

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have ordered a Monza cap of flea bay from India . It was 40$CAN free shipping . Thats actually less than a direct replacement with shipping from any of the usual suspects .
Will post pics when it arrives so you can see quality .

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok it arrived from India , took just over two weeks so not bad shipping for free .
Quality of part I will give it 7 out of 10 .
Considering it was only 40$ CAN I thinks its ok .
Now the issue . It was listed as a 2 1/2” cap and I took that to be the ID of the collar so it would fit directly over the filler neck tube once the old adapter part was cut off ......Wrong .....the 2 1/2” is the ID of the threaded section that the cap screws onto .
Anyways the actual size of the cap is very similar to the old flat originals so it doesnt look bulky so I think I can make it work by cutting off the old cap adapter off the filler neck and then using a second rubber hose connector under the body ,the new collar will fit inside the rubber and then the rubber will connect to a shortened filler tube to the fuel tank .
On second thoughts Im going to get a piece of 2 1/2” tube from somewhere , exhaust pipe or stainless tube etc and use that instead of cutting my original .
Stay tuned .

Attachments

• 2B4C36A5-8F80-47F9-B66F-2087F8C7A0EA.jpg
    2B4C36A5-8F80-47F9-B66F-2087F8C7A0EA.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 141
  • F98EA1DD-2BF3-4352-981F-A1B476F6FBD3.jpg
    F98EA1DD-2BF3-4352-981F-A1B476F6FBD3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 129
  • C640A955-F8AD-4AC9-AF0D-6863F09651F4.jpg
    C640A955-F8AD-4AC9-AF0D-6863F09651F4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 2C37F30F-A989-4E9D-8B3F-717C09D61B29.jpg
    2C37F30F-A989-4E9D-8B3F-717C09D61B29.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 3C5A07FA-19C5-44D1-9E5D-DC3BAB152881.jpg
    3C5A07FA-19C5-44D1-9E5D-DC3BAB152881.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 143

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The one I put on my bugeye many years ago attached with a threaded brass collar that went over the filler tube opening after being expanded by heat. You then screwed the new cap onto the collar. Any chance the threaded portion of your adapter might work the same way if you cut off the portion below the threads?

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The one I put on my bugeye many years ago attached with a threaded brass collar that went over the filler tube opening after being expanded by heat. You then screwed the new cap onto the collar. Any chance the threaded portion of your adapter might work the same way if you cut off the portion below the threads?

Not a hope its 2” bore on the ID of the adapter, fill tube is 2 1/2” OD .

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If the threaded portion of the adapter is 2 1/2" ID, can you cut off the non-threaded portion and slip the threaded portion over the filler tube and secure?

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok I Will try this again .
The collar (adapter) has a 2” ID ie inside diameter ....all the way through so there aint no way its going to “slip over “ a 2 1/2” pipe .
I did take photos with a tape measure in the pics .

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They do look great when done right....
'57 Rear Aston Filler Cap.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Healey Nut - you evidently have the weld-in adapter and need a different adapter to fit your stock filler pipe; your cap is the correct 2.5" size.

The importers of British Aston and Monza caps have a pdf with all the dimensions, including the collars. They also sell the brass ring you can install on the outside of your Healey filler. Download here:
https://mocalusa.com/aston.htm

OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Healey Nut - you evidently have the weld-in adapter and need a different adapter to fit your stock filler pipe; your cap is the correct 2.5" size.

The importers of British Aston and Monza caps have a pdf with all the dimensions, including the collars. They also sell the brass ring you can install on the outside of your Healey filler. Download here:
https://mocalusa.com/aston.htm

Tks Steve it appears I need COL25 which is brass so easily soldered or silver soldered onto the end if my stock fill pipe .
I have a 16tpi 2 1/2” cap .

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tks Steve it appears I need COL25 which is brass so easily soldered or silver soldered onto the end if my stock fill pipe .
I have a 16tpi 2 1/2” cap .

If you get lucky as on my Bugeye, the collar will be a slight interference fit and you can pop it in boiling water for a few minutes to expand it and put it over the filler pipe. Once it cools, soldering will not be necessary

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If you get lucky as on my Bugeye, the collar will be a slight interference fit and you can pop it in boiling water for a few minutes to expand it and put it over the filler pipe. Once it cools, soldering will not be necessary

Wondering if it would be possible to screw the collar into the cap and boil the whole assembly per above. Then when installing you could have the cap oriented as you wanted it, rather than arbitrarily where it screwed onto the installed collar.

Addendum: Duh, of course it would be relatively easy to loosen the hose between the tank and filler and rotate the cap to the desired position. However, the rubber could be petrified and one would have to order another one.

Last edited:
OP
Healey Nut

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So I went to my local auto store and got a 18” length of 2 1/4” exhaust pipe that is swaged at one end ,the original filler pipe fits inside the swaged end snuggly . The collar (aluminum) that came with the cap is slightly loose in the swaged end .
Im going to reduce it with some careful hammer work then epoxy the collar into it .
I will then cut it to length and install it to orient the cap where I want it so it doesn’t hit the body etc when open .
Stay tuned .
If this fails I will get the brass collar that fits exactly etc .