• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member Down Under

Triumph6432

Freshman Member
Hi All

With the cooler months approaching I have recently dusted off my '62 TR4 (a converted USA delivered vehicle - a story there) after some 6 years in the storage garage and found the forum site informative reading that also increased my enthusiasm to get her back on the road. Apart from some minor corrosion on the painted wires and rear bumper (re chrome required) with a new battery there was little persuasion required to hear her crank back to life.

Now registered and roadworthy I hope to enjoy some week end trips - that is once I renew the tyres to remove the flat spots>

Take care

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, there is a PPG product available here in the US known as DX 579 Metal Prep that does an astounding job on rusty chrome. Here's a simple before-n-after I did, with less than 20 seconds of rubbing. Obviously I didn't go all the way, it was just a quick example.
vrvm3Gb.jpg
Her6G6c.jpg

To use it, put a small amount of DX579 in a spray bottle and add 3 or 4 parts of water. You'll also need a wad of fine brass wool (don't use steel wool). Spray a bit of solution on the surface, then scrub with the brass wool. Repeat as necessary. Afterwards, give it a good wash (to remove all traces of chemical) and wax (to slow down the rust coming back).

Probably best to wear rubber gloves, but I usually don't (or they tear and leak) and my fingers haven't fallen off yet.

The solution won't harm sound paint, as long as you rinse it off promptly.

I don't know if/where you could find DX579 in Oz, but it seems that PPG has a presence there, so I'm guessing any place that carries PPG paints could at least get it for you.
https://corporate.ppg.com/Our-Company/Worldwide-Operations/Asia-Pacific/Clayton

PS, Welcome to the asylum!

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hello Triumph6432 and welcome to the BCF. You will find plenty of help here whenever you need it. Post your questions in the Triumph section of the forum. Get your car done and go for a ride. I don’t know what part of AU you’re in but a favorite of mine is The Great Ocean Road.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice! Enjoy the ride.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Nice to have another brother from down under! I just want to know one thing - which way does the water spin when you flush down there? 🥲