• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reid Acree

Reid Acree

Freshman Member
Hi Folks:

For some reason I've got a desire to buy a Triumph TR 7. I used to have one at age 17, (my first car). I'm on various sites looking for them and have found one in Atlanta that I like. Will have a friend go look at it for me as I'm 5 hours from Atlanta. Any advice on what to look for or what to stay away from would be appreciated. I'm not handy so I'll be paying for all service. thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it has an original engine that you plan to keep, make very sure that it doesn't overheat and the antifreeze has been kept up to date. It's quite possible for a TR7 motor to still run, but not be worth the cost to repair it; and internal corrosion is one of the biggest causes. The cylinder heads were made from old cheese, and unless someone has started reproducing them, solid unobtanium.

Ideally (IMO) you'll find one that has had a different engine installed. A fake TR8 (Rover 3.5 or 3.9 V8) would be my choice, but I've also seen some nice conversions using small American motors.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Reid

Welcome to the forum.

You should get plenty of advice, tips and help in the Triumph section of the forum.

David