• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 How to distinguish between stainless and aluminum

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am considering buying some wheel trim rings from a gentleman on the forum. The pics he sent me look like stainless steel. He said he used a magnet, and the magnet would not stick. Since magnets pretty much only attach to ferrous metals, that would not help much. I had thought possibly comparing weights. Anyone have any other way to tell the difference?

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks. I think the finish alone would separate the two. I am familiar with the Mohr scale, but never thought of using it on the trim rings. I am guessing the stainless is nickel?

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Stainless is majority iron with significant chromium and often nickle and other things added. Some stainless is magnetic.

Rub the part with steel wool on the backside. On aluminum it will be easy to change the surface finish. On SS, much harder.

Ed

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I think they're stainless. I don't have any steel wool at the moment. My wife won't let any in the house. She's seen what it can do in my hands.

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
With some experience, you also can tell by color. Aluminum is normally sort of a silver-white, stainless more silver-gray.

Ed

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M TR4/4A Difference between two Oval Air Filters Triumph 3
SNClocks Gap between inner and outer fenders Spridgets 0
Lotuswins TR4/4A Is this normal? TR4 gap between door and cowl Triumph 10
BN6_2197 Removing connecting link between shock absorber and rear axle Austin Healey 4
AUSMHLY The difference between GL4 and GL5 gear oils Austin Healey 0
B Differences between BN2 and BN4 speedometer gears?? Austin Healey 7
Got_All_4 TR6 Any difference between 69 & 70 camshafts Triumph 3
Rob Glasgow A few Years in Between Austin Healey 20
P Is there a seal between the drain channel and drain box? Austin Healey 8
DornTRoriginal TR2/3/3A Tub gap between Frame Drivers side Triumph 3
steveg Switching multi-wire wideband O2 sensors between single gauge Austin Healey 11
K TR4/4A Difference between 4A frames and TR6 frames? Triumph 6
J Exhaust pressure extremely different between pipes? Austin Healey 20
M Driving/Owning Comparison between TR3 and AH3000 Austin Healey 13
M TR2/3/3A Driving Comparison between TR3 and AH3000 Triumph 40
C Price difference between 100-6 BN4 and BN6?? Austin Healey 14
D Differences between BT7 and BJ8 engines. Austin Healey 12
J TR2/3/3A radiator shield for between the frame of a TR3?? Triumph 4
M TR4/4A Is there a difference between the "Body" number and the Comission Number? Triumph 8
T TR2/3/3A Is there a way to get more clearance between tires and back fender on TR3A? Triumph 10
B Spacer between rear air filter and carb - BJ7 Austin Healey 11
certifiedcarnut pipe between front brake wheel cylinders on 948 midget [drum brakes] Spridgets 4
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A hesitation and missing between 2000 & 3000 rpm Triumph 3
anarchy99 GT6 Body differences between gt6 and spitfire... Triumph 12
P T-Series TD Door Hinges: just what is the difference between right and left? MG 11
F VIN Problem / Whats difference between BN6 and BN7, bare car. Austin Healey 21
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A Weather seal between apron & wings? Triumph 4
H The heat shield for the Longbridge between the exhaust manifold and carbs Austin Healey 1
tomshobby New way to Install gasket between soft top and windscreen frame. Spridgets 2
T TR2/3/3A Type A Overdrive, Physical Differences between Roadster Brands? Triumph 2
F Seal between transmission tunnel and the forward bulkhead Austin Healey 7
Mink TR4/4A Dash/Crash pads - differences in quality between vendors? Triumph 8
M TR2/3/3A Body Measurement differences between pre & post 60,000 TR3s Triumph 4
sundown TR6 1973 TR6 oil between the head and engine block? Triumph 11
jaegzie What is the piece called between license Plate lamp and body. Can't find in catalog Spridgets 10
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Differance between the new Delrin Ctr bush and the original Silentbloc bush Triumph 2
T TR4/4A Fabricating a metal panel in between the fuel tank and cockpit Triumph 6
K TR4/4A The Gap between the Door and the B Post on the 4A? Triumph 2
W Fuel guage interchangeable between AH, MG, TR? Austin Healey 11
N 3" difference between front and rear track Spridgets 5
G TR2/3/3A Gasket Between Brake Plate Triumph 1
DanLewis Distance between mechanical fan and radiator core Spridgets 17
drooartz Moisture barrier between door card and door? Restoration & Tools 7
Jim_Gruber Seat Differences between Mk 1 and Mk 2 Spridgets 10
Patrick67BJ8 Sealer between fenders and shrouds Austin Healey 12
T Empty pickup going between Albuquerque and Las Vegas, NV this weekend Triumph 0
KVH What happened to all the threads between "today" and November 6? Triumph 6
R difference between instal of 1500 radiator in 1275 Spridgets 3
K STP oil additive between changes? Triumph 17
K TR4/4A TR4A Distance between trunk lid and rear overiders Triumph 5