• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Breakfast surprise

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Took the MG out this AM for a breakfast with pals. On the return trip, a really pronounced "buzzing" began coming from the engine compartment, could be felt in the shifter. I was less than a mile from the hovel, no overheating, no smoke from anything so pressed on to the driveway. No ignition light but my voltmeter dropped down to less than 10V!! Bonnet up, the buzz was coming from the generator. Front bearing rattling. The engine temp was normal but too hot for my delicate digits, so it was left to sit for about an hour while I scrounged around for a new bearing... found one in the top of my toolbox!

Out with the genny, benched and disassembled it. Bearing had rattled itself to the point it puked its lubricant, contaminating the commutator and the brushes weren't making contact thru the resultant coat of goo. Replaced the bearing, cleaned the comm & brushes with some brake cleaner, gave the comm a polish with some 600 grit wet-or-dry, reassembled and reinstalled. No more rattle and a 14V output!

Great thing about owning these cars since the late '60's is the "collection" of spares over the years comes in handy now and then. ...and folks just think I'm a pack-rat. HA! :wink:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
" ... scrounged around for a new bearing... found one in the top of my toolbox!"

Wow, talk about luck. Tell me the next PowerBall lottery winner!

Congrats on getting it sorted so fast.

TM

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice to have your skills Doc! But, did you enjoy the breakfast, you didn't say? :encouragement: My favorite meal of the day. Gets one ready for those surprise breakdowns. :devilgrin:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Job done! You need a lathe to clean up and do other jobs?

D,

"Need" and "want" are kinda interchangeable here... but room for any more gear is the problem. After we shut down the shop, I've no access to a lift, hydraulic press, machine tools, etc. And no place to put 'em anyhow.

In truth, my "space" is about to undergo a real downsizing in the collection of stuff "excess to requirement".

Paul said:
But, did you enjoy the breakfast, you didn't say? :encouragement: My favorite meal of the day. Gets one ready for those surprise breakdowns. :devilgrin:

Quite enjoyed it. Good company, good eats! And the MG got me back to th' hovel with no need for a tow. Life's good.