• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another false assertion

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Watching Motor Week, featuring a 1971 Datsun 240Z. The guy driving/narrating proclaims it has the "twin cam" engine... pegging my B.S. meter!

And no mention that it was domestically called the Fairlady Z.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Your BS meter is working well doc... here's a June 1970 article from C&D
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/datsun-240z-road-test

......Of course, it should also be obvious that the Z-car continues Datsun's practice of using exceptionally powerful engines-in this case
a 2.4-liter single-overhead-cam Six. It's a new engine for Datsun-yet not really new because it is actually one-and-a-half of the Fours used in the PL51O sedan. With the help of two SUs and a 9.0-to-one compression ratio it generates 151 horsepower at 5600 rpm, and if you are so inclined you can turn it all the way to 7000 rpm before you hit the red line. We aren't inclined, however. Like all Datsuns, the torque curve is as flat as Nebraska and the engine noise is so unpleasant above 6500 that there is just no reason to ever go up there.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Watching Motor Week, featuring a 1971 Datsun 240Z. The guy driving/narrating proclaims it has the "twin cam" engine... pegging my B.S. meter!

And no mention that it was domestically called the Fairlady Z.

By domestically of course you mean in Japan.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My first sports car was a 1970 240-Z. I really enjoyed driving the car, but finally sold it because the passenger side had no floorboards, only carpet, and rust had pretty well taken over other parts. I could barely afford to buy dinner at the time, so I could not afford to keep the car stored, and could not get close to making it pass inspection. It only had 40,000 on the odometer when I sold it. I had driven it two years without inspections or updated registration when I parted ways with the car.

kjman55

Freshman Member
I remember looking at 10-15 240Zs when they were still plentiful and cheap. I just couldn't find one that didn't need extensive rust repairs ...and that was in Sydney, which is not a "high rust" area. They were very many sold over here, but now they are very rare. I recall rust in the roof was common, as well as the usual places like the floor as and sills. A very low survival rate, which is a shame because they were a good car. My Uncle had one with triple Webers which he used to rally. Went like a scalded cat.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My dad got the 8th one imported to the west coast... and for a few months it was a very exotic car.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
These shows are mostly full of schyte. People think that a car can be done in a moment. If you view most, they are production vehicles with tones of suppliers!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I bought a 1979 280 ZX from a airplane jockey in Wilton. Rain it for about 3 years and sold it when the rockers rusted through. Fastest car I ever drove (shhh). 115 on Rte. 7 extension before I backed off in mortal dread. It was a 2 plus 2. Maroon. I wish I still had it. The sheet metal was very thin.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What the heck were they made with?
was it the shape I had one too some one asked me one time where to look for rust on these before buying
they seemed to rust any where day light was present
but my they were a sexy little fun ride

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think it was the same steel the Italians used for Alfa Romeos! :smirk:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
In keeping with the thread. My dad bought his 1970 240Z (with all that excessive badgings in that first model year) new for, I think, $3600 (you could buy a Porsche 914 then for $3800 - which he was also considering). He sold it about 8 years later for $4000.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
It is. Not mine, as I have never really fancied them. Just purchased an NOS exhaust system @ 2800- hope it doesn’t arrive pre rusted!

Country flag
Something to think about. I used Eastwood's stainless steel paint on the exhaust of my Sunbeam Tiger. Other than a couple spots I dropped oil on the manifolds and pipes look like the day I put them on 20 years ago. No external rust at all.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Consider Jet Hot ceramic coating?

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
So I wonder if the new fiat 124 will have the same DNA issue’s
i like the news ones pretty car no nothing about them

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
$2800.00 for an exhaust system? What was it made out of - platinum? Many (many) years ago while working at Allied Foreign Cars in Boston, tired of the goatish blat of my TR 3, I welded up my own exhaust system using a Smithy's (Smitty's) deeptone muffler. Sounded much better than the stock system. I'm surprised more people don't do that.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This is an NOS system that is correct. You can not replicate to make it look correct.
The car will be worth over 200k when done, so it is a wash. Buyers will look at all EVERTHING at that sort of money, so it needs to be right.
Just to follow up,needed a set of bumpers.... 2300- delivered. They are SS!