• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our former veterinarian

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I stumbled on this new clip about the ultralight crash that killed Dr Bryan Bowker who had been our vet for many years. It was a huge loss to the community. His wife was one of my NAMI Family to Family teachers.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What a shame. We defy gravity at our peril.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This incident brought back bad memories for me.... about 30 years ago my wife got me ultralight lessons as a gift (I already had my private pilots license). The course included some instruction and two solo flights. I did not think much of my instructor. Fast forward to the day I was to take my first solo flight in this "toothpick and fabric" craft. I had to wait until another student landed and when he did I preceded to pre-flight the plane. My instructor told me that "it had just been flown and everything was fine". "Not good enough" I replied and I let him know that I intended to complete my pre-flight. I made one solo flight and told my wife I would not fly it ever again since I did not feel safe in the ultralight.
The very NEXT DAY my instructor was killed when the ultralight he had just assembled came apart while he was flying it.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This incident brought back bad memories for me.... about 30 years ago my wife got me ultralight lessons as a gift (I already had my private pilots license). The course included some instruction and two solo flights. I did not think much of my instructor. Fast forward to the day I was to take my first solo flight in this "toothpick and fabric" craft. I had to wait until another student landed and when he did I preceded to pre-flight the plane. My instructor told me that "it had just been flown and everything was fine". "Not good enough" I replied and I let him know that I intended to complete my pre-flight. I made one solo flight and told my wife I would not fly it ever again since I did not feel safe in the ultralight.
The very NEXT DAY my instructor was killed when the ultralight he had just assembled came apart while he was flying it.

Certainly not something that would inspire confidence in flying ultralights.

An old school chum who now lives out in Arizona is an ultralight owner/pilot. Happy he likes it, but I'll just stay right here on the ground and watch, thank you very much.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
This is so sad. The community has lost a good man. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Certainly not something that would inspire confidence in flying ultralights.

An old school chum who now lives out in Arizona is an ultralight owner/pilot. Happy he likes it, but I'll just stay right here on the ground and watch, thank you very much.
After my ultralight flight I made up my mind to never fly a plane without these two requirements:
1. Fuselage
2. Tail numbers

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Over the years one sees many things. Once myself and two other guys took three sprayers, (crop dusters), out to do a job and when we came back to the airport, there were police and a couple ambulances there, a fellow just took off in his new home built ultra-lite, got up to aprox. a 1,000 feet and it came apart, crashed on the airport right in front of his wife and kids. It was one of the most unpleasant experiences in my flying career, I'll never forget it, what a horrible thing for his family to see.