• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 grinding right rear wheel

Terry_M

Country flag
Help
my 1974 TR6 while driving i could feel a vibration in the seat. Lifting the car the right rear has a grinding sound . Removing the wheel the hub turn quietly and freely . Changing wheels no difference .changing Hubs no difference. The tires and rims have no marks for rubbing or scrapping If anyone can help i would appreciate giving me some direction
regards
terry

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
is there any play by grabbing the wheel and pulling in/out when it's off the ground?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Vibration and noise are classic symptoms of a bad u-joint. These often don't look obviously bad so spend some time trying to get them to move. There should be absolutely no play at all. If not, I'd pull the drum and look at the rear brakes but I doubt that a brake noise would cause a vibration.
Tom

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Tom-thanks for the reply The play i have in the right side is <sixteenth maybe a 32nd. I have never had a great deal of success changing u-joints. There is nothing else it can be --thanks again
regards
terry

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If your talking about the u-joints in the axles it's easier said than done there are some vids on YouTube that make it look easy if you don't have a big ass vice it's a PITA if it's the driveshaft one your going to have to drop the diff you can't get it out good luck have fun.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Yes--as i said me and u-joints have never got along I will pull the axel and give it the old college try The u-tube guys always make it look easy
thanks
terry

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Terry I did mine that way and was successful bought a 6 in bench vice from HF and it fit ok just take it slow it will work .

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Here is a good but expensive solution.
https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=20
If you replace the originals, take the axles out and use a vice for a press, or a press of course if you have one. I use a couple of old sockets to fir the bearings. It's not too bad a job.
Tom

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Ok-i pulled the axel right side all the u-joints are perfect--i forgot to mention i do have the Good axels I installed a couple maybe three winters ago When i was wrestling with the axel i noticed the drive shaft u-joint is showing movement It will have to be changed If my main issue is the driveshaft u , shouldn't it grind on both sides . Why is it grinding just with the weight of the wheel only on the right side--- My neighbour thinks it may be the shaft coming out of the diff as it has more play than the left side
terry

D

Deleted member 8987

well.....grinding is one issue, vibration is another...sometimes part of the same problem, sometimes not.

But the one common symptom, reading all this, is when the WEIGHT of the WHEEL is on, it grinds.
When the wheel is removed, it is quiet.

Sure looks like an axle bearing to me.

Now, for a "proof". It looks like you have the axle shafts out. If so, put the wheel back on and spin. If the noise is there, there is but one part to look at..the axle bearing.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
TDC-not sure what you mean -i have the axel out disconnected from the diff everything is on the parts trolly , there is nothing to hang the tire on The axel bearing ? ,i assume the differential needs to be dropped ?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think he means to mount this and put on the wheel without the axle. Good suggestion. Diff stays put. And you might want to put the backing plate and brakes on too or examine them closely to see if anything is rubbing. I doubt that the brakes would cause a vibration but could certainly cause the noise. (I think you said you get get movement in the u-joint, if so "d replace replace it, both at this point, even if it looks good
https://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-36/SDC11685a.JPG

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I also was thinking it might be a wheel bearing. Bearings often feel smooth when you spin them without a load, especially if they are well greased.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
yes ,tried the better part of the afternoon trying pull the seal without dropping the differential --no go So I start tomorrow with dropping the exhaust
regards
terry

D

Deleted member 8987

sorry....I was thinking IRS and removeable axles with u-joints.

But, if the outer race is damaged, it will be the top (weight of car down, force of wheel up). If the inner race is damaged, you will get noise with axle up, wheel weight on.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
i am into it now! The rear drive u-joint looks sketchy from a distance I plan on changing both front and rear-Also the right axel bearing All this means dropping the differential which means the exhaust needs to be dropped I have the nuts loosened on the diff & driveshaft I don't believe they have been touched in 44 years Tomorrow the left axel and the exhaust I was hopping i could wrestle the diff out without touching the exhaust Almost certain that is wishful thinking

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Make sure you support the diff.... it's a heavy sob. Be careful.

OP
T

Terry_M

Country flag
Well-dropping the diff was not a fun job for this old guy- it's down, no damage to me or the car or the diff This bearing runs smooth,i'am here now might well change it The question now is how do i remove the flange assembly . The book says there is a keyway i can't get it to budge or should i just remove the bearing housing
terry