• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reboot

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Done. Thanks for the heads up.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My router has a button on the back to shut it off and then reboot it, with it off for aporx. 45 seconds, it takes about 10 minutes for the process. Not sure if it goes back to factory settings though. PJ

D

Deleted member 8987

did a lot of reading on this when it first hit the presses. Then asked IT guys. Rebooting just stops it right now....the malware or virus or whatever is still there, and will re-launch.
Not sure the actual fix yet, as AV programs are for the computer.
However, the issue IN the router DOES affect the PC, so an AV update will stop the PC issue.....now what about the router?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My router has a button on the back to shut it off and then reboot it, with it off for aporx. 45 seconds, it takes about 10 minutes for the process. Not sure if it goes back to factory settings though. PJ
Almost certainly not, if you just push the button and release. That article claims that in some cases it can be done by holding the button down; but all of the routers I've owned had a separate button, usually hidden where it's hard to get to. For example, my current router just has a small hole in the case, where you can push a paper clip in to contact the factory reset button.

I looked up the NetGear 7000 (one of the ones on the list), and it's the same as mine (which isn't on the list).

Disabling the remote management port (unless you need to use it obviously) seems like a no-brainer to me.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Randall, I have the little hole in the back which I assume is for a factory reset, if I reset it, what is the procedure to put it back on line, also do I have to change the password? The password was set by the technician who installed it initially. A little confused on the procedure, we have 5 units that use WIFI. PJ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The factory settings will include a default administration account name and password, which should definitely be changed. If you have WiFi, the default configuration will probably have it disabled, so you'll have to go through the steps to enable it, select security type, set WiFi password, etc. There may be more, depending on your specifics, router model, etc; but in most cases that should cover it.

Probably the safest route is to go through the various management screens, and make a copy of each one (so you can see the current values). Then after the reset, you can go through and compare, to see if any of them need to be restored.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And you don't even get firm?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
No comment.
Seriously, my router is old and situated about 75 feet away from my computer. Wifi is sketchy and goes out frequently. I tried a newer more powerful router but couldn't get it to work at all so I returned it to Best Buy. I got an extender but it was a PITA to set up and did nothing so it sits in a drawer now. The real answer is to call Cablevision and have them put in a splitter and run another cable across the roof and into my office on the other side of the house. Of course I'd then have to drill a hole in the window frame for the cable and hard wire the cable. A step I'm reluctant to take. Oh well, its off to the Bonham's auction...