• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Packing pieces on rebound rubber engine mount

grimes6

Country flag
Can anybody give me the reason for the packing pieces on the rebound rubber engine mounts ? How do you measure how many are required ? I can't find any reference to them in the workshop manual.

Regards,
Greg

D

Deleted member 21878

here is my take.
i think i read some place that the rebound rubber should sit 1/26 or 1/22 of an inch off the motor mount. not sure on the actual measurment at this point or where i read it. but i had made a note. i used some shims i bought at HF to get that distance and used a feeler gauge between the mount and the rebound. i assumed that was done to keep the engine from torquing and putting too much stress on the motor mount.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Went through this last year when installing an overhauled engine in my BJ8. The new mounts--side and top--I got from Moss were, well, not the best of quality. I've noticed the newer ones tend to sag and if they sag too much the rubber will begin to tear off the metal backing plate (which happened on our BN2 when we installed the engine years ago). When I installed the engine in the BJ8 it appeared to me the gap between the top mounts was excessive--a quarter-inch or more--which would allow the side mounts to sag quite a bit (then tear?). So, I 'ballparked' a measurement, cut slots in some fender washers to clear the stud and stacked them up to close the gap between the top and bottom mounts. Not an elegant solution, but at least it should prevent the side mounts from sagging and disassembling themselves.

We kept the OEM (AFAIK) mounts from the BN2; there is definitely some difference in quality between the originals and what I've seen in the aftermarket. I may end up putting them back in someday.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My experience with the aftermarket rubber mounts was they were too hard .I founsd some OEM ones on the internet and made sure the gap between the rubber and the engine mount was minimal.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Wanted Packing pieces on rebound rubber engine mount Austin Healey Classifieds 0
Lin Master cylinder packing pieces [shims] Austin Healey 29
John Loftus Windshield packing pieces for BJ7-8 Austin Healey 9
F TR2/3/3A Tr3A body body mount packing Triumph 2
KVH TR4/4A Front Coil Spring Packing Piece Triumph 12
D TR4/4A distributor pedestal shim [packing] quandary Triumph 6
C TR4/4A SuperPro Front Spring Packing Triumph 7
K TR2/3/3A Front wheel bearing grease seal with felt packing? Triumph 4
I Hard top packing -expandable foam Spridgets 5
D Bumper Packing Piece Austin Healey 2
smaceng BE heater valve packing spec. Spridgets 10
TulsaFred Front wheel bearing grease packing Spridgets 26
drooartz Packing the Tunebug Spridgets 4
T TR2/3/3A TR3A door post packing Triumph 9
K TR2/3/3A TR3 SU H6 Jet[Gland Packing] Rubber O RING Size? Triumph 3
Jer re-packing front wheel bearings Spridgets 3
E BE Steering Bracket Packing & Toe Plate? Spridgets 10
CraigLandrum TR2/3/3A TR3 Dzus hood fastener packing? Triumph 13
R Windscreen Packing Strips MG 1
Aldwyn Car Show Packing List Triumph 17
GregW Master cylinder packing piece Austin Healey 19
M Striker Packing Plate Austin Healey 5
AUSMHLY BJ8 Leather interior - what pieces were leather/vinyl Austin Healey 13
B Wanted 100-6 or early 3000 upper and lower grille opening pieces Austin Healey Classifieds 1
steveg Strange gasket pieces Austin Healey 5
P Mystery leftover BJ7 Pieces Austin Healey 18
S TR2/3/3A how to position pieces when painting Triumph 7
davester Just got my Sprite back [in pieces] after 42 years...need advice Spridgets 8
55modified Anyone install one of these [100S Kilmartin pieces] for fresh air in your footbox? Austin Healey 14
T TR4/4A Extra carpet pieces? Triumph 9
W For Sale 57 smallmouth with OD in pieces Triumph Classifieds 2
K TR2/3/3A Rear tonneau capping plates and bridge pieces for mounting the Hardtop? Triumph 3
W Beginning to sale pieces and parts Spridgets 8
M What is the finish Jaguar Uses on Veneered Trim Pieces? Jaguar 4
M Carpet pieces - where do they go? Austin Healey 3
maxwedge5281 front pieces for bj7 hubs with bolt on wheels Austin Healey 8
GTP1960 TR2/3/3A Removing the silentbloc rubber pieces. From the steering linkage bush Triumph 7
J TR4/4A 1965 TR4 in pieces, What should we do with it? Triumph 9
L Bugeye dash indicator assembly pieces ? Spridgets 0
tinman58 TR5/TR250 Trim pieces Triumph 0
B General TR Unusual banjo pieces for brakes? Triumph 3
T TR6 Physical size comparison of TR-4/TR-6 lower wishbone pieces ? Triumph 2
J New wood pieces for the doors Triumph 9
S TR2/3/3A those metal button trim pieces tr3 Triumph 5
A TR2/3/3A TR-3A Windshield corner finishing pieces Triumph 3
GBRandy Wedge TR8 [TR7] dash & switch pieces Triumph 1
F Missing pieces- centershift 3000- vague shifting Austin Healey 4
drooartz Back at it -- Tunebug is in pieces Spridgets 9
J Things I have learned from buying a car in pieces: Spridgets 23