• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Brooklyn Bridge-Bing photo of the day

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
For those who didn't see it, I thought it was a interesting photo of the Brooklyn bridge under construction in 1883. PJ

View attachment 53850

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul- that picture reminded me of this photo of the Empire State Building during construction.
B7361E7B-E662-454D-B7FB-4E8588A0F3C3.png

Last edited:
OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Boy, both of those photos would drive OSHA insane, :highly_amused:. Imagine almost 90 years later before working conditions like that were shut down, but those guys back then knew nothing else and either did their job or got fired! Amazing what one will do to care for his family. :rolleyes2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Paul,
Do you think those guys had Velcro on their pants? :rolleye:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I certainly would want more than Velcro! :highly_amused:. They look like their just out for a Sunday stroll, I could think of many other places I'd rather be. :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I recall a story about the outfit that supplied the cables; the Q.C. was given the same material over and over, it met spec. The cable supplied for the bridge did not. Scary stuff.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
John A Roebling Wire of Trenton, NJ supplied the cable for the bridge. Not sure what the discrepancy was, as Roebling made the finest and strongest wire rope in the country back then. For the main suspension cables it's usually a single strand run back and forth until the desired diameter is reached. The down runners to the deck are usually twisted strands of wire rope. Helped erect a few bridges in my day and Roebling had an excellent reputation for a superior product. Last I heard, the original plant was still there but shut down in the late 60s. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My recollection is that Roebling decided to manufacture the cables himself after the discovery of the "cheat". And he didn't live long enough to see the bridge completed. His wife and son took over the project to its end. The program was done several years ago, can't remember where it aired.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The girder photo appears to have been staged https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper which doesn’t reduce the pucker factor on bit.

in terms of the steel on the bridge IIRC some was substandard due to “deals “ which were made to get it funded. Something about the strands being weighed twice. On Netflix there is an excellent short series called I think the seven engineering wonders of the world which covers it.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Staged or not, if those men were really seated on a girder high above the street, that still makes my palms sweat looking at it. I thought most of the men who erected these skyscrapers were Mohawk Indians.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John A Roebling Wire of Trenton, NJ supplied the cable for the bridge.

No. Roebling wanted to supply the cables but because of corrupt Tammany Hall politics was accused of wanting to cheat and the contract was given to one of the competitors who proceeded to cheat. The cheating was discovered when a cable being pulled into place broke, and in the corruption of the day they accused Roebling of design flaws, the investigation eventually showed that the same high quality wire was being tested but the actual wire sent was not the same quality. After the cheating was discovered they still refused to let Roebling have the contract. He redesigned the cables to work with the lower strength cables and obviously it all works.

A very interesting book about the great bridge builders and their stories is "Engineers of dreams" buy Henry Petroski.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification, Izz. :thumbsup:

I think of the crazy guys who lugged the photo gear of the time up there to MAKE the images. They were equally nuts. :eeek:

number6

Jedi Trainee
The wire was supplied by J lloyd haigh, and a large amount was worked into the cables. The cables were over designed to carry 5 times the weight expected. The contractor had to supply extra
good wire to make up for it. Even more amazing is that the bridge is actually sitting on 2 wood caissons, sunk into the river bed. One of which had a fire which destroyed the 4th and 5th courses
of the ceiling.