• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anybody seen this Front Shock Conversion Kit before?

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I found this front shock conversion kit on ebay a while back and largely forgot about it for a couple years. I got it shockingly cheap so the risk was very low. I'm now researching it a little to verify that it's a good idea. It requires cutting away the bump-stops on the chassis and drilling a large hole in the shock tower mounts. While these are semi-drastic steps on a typical chassis, my chassis has had several modifications made already so these changes aren't very troubling to me but they also aren't reversible. My chassis is still on the rotisserie so the mods are pretty easy at the moment.

The shocks are mounted inside the springs in this kit. I can find no brand-name anywhere but the workmanship is excellent. Does anybody have any experience with this design or information about the kit itself? Who made it?

IMG_0375edit.jpg

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Chris,
I have the 'normal' Koni conversion. I have not seen one like yours before but it may well be by Koni. IMO, the tubes work much better than the stock levers. Don't know about yours but I think most Koni shocks are adjustable & that is a nice feature.

Did you get the shocks too or just the mounting kit? If you have the shocks, call Koni North America in Hebron, KY at (859) 586-4100 and ask if they know about the kit & who made it.

I like the looks of your kit, should work well. As you probably know, the 'normal' kit has the shock mounted to the rear of the a-arms and looks very much like an add-on (kinda tacky looking actually, but work well). I like the nature of your kit better and it wouldn't be too hard to reverse since the bump stop is not visible when assembled (keep the pieces you cut off and the stock bottom spring plates).

The reason I have the phone number & address is that I have broken two of mine a few years ago and found that Koni will rebuild/repair their shocks forever, no mater the age or rarity I gather. The last one I had repaired was a rear and involved replacing the main rod and internals and cost me just under $300 in 2009

Dave

OP
Csarneson

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I just realized that the first photo was not included in my original post. Yes the kit includes the shocks themselves. The kit tells me they are adjustable. I like knowing that Koni will support them long term. One of my concerns with the kit was that I don't know the specifics of the actual shocks if I ever needed to replace them.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Chris, Now that I see the box and the entire kit, I think it probably is a Koni kit..... If you decide not to use it, I would be happy to buy it from you.

Dave