• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop progress

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’m getting closer and closer to having a finished shop and I cant wait to start equipping it! I ran 3/4” RapidAir piping and outlets so I would have the volume I need for those air hungry sand blasters, shot peen cabinets, body sanders, etc. The 2 post lift will go on the left side with room for a car/tool box/mill between it and the wall. IF they stay on schedule it’s looking like the end of July, but we all know how that goes! Even tho it’s my shop, SWMBO will be picking out the paint colors and I’m trying to steer her toward a light grey, but I would like to hear your suggestions. I also let her talk me into using spray foam insulation and a small split system HVAC for comfort...how does that work with the doors open?
Rut

Attachments

• 5B93C92B-8B6D-4683-9529-AE391D25C66C.jpg
    5B93C92B-8B6D-4683-9529-AE391D25C66C.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 5C60C302-A687-4489-962D-4DA1A478F5B9.jpg
    5C60C302-A687-4489-962D-4DA1A478F5B9.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 68BEDF84-CC70-4323-99C1-BE02BC66CCB6.jpg
    68BEDF84-CC70-4323-99C1-BE02BC66CCB6.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 120
Country flag
I wouldn't drag some greasy old British car in there. WAAAY too nice.

Hbf

Freshman Member
A cheap hvac solution that I used was to install a heat pump PTAC unit. You know the type - found in every hotel room in the country. It comes with electric heat so great for summer and winter. I have a 4 car workshop of 1000 sq ft and 10 ft ceiling. I got the second-largest unit and that is a little oversized. The unit cost me about $800 delivered. Much cheaper than a split system. Installation is straight forward.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Trevor,
Im sure it will get greasy and dirty at times, but I like that. I wanted a place that could be used for car storage as well as a shop and man cave that could be converted into a ‘guest house’ if we eventually need a caretaker. I hope I follow in my parents footsteps as far as health goes, dad died at 95 and mom at 96 and they were in good health a couple of weeks before that.
Hbf
I looked into the PTAC system and started to go that way, but I’m not a fan of the electric strip heaters they use and I wanted something that doesn’t take up usable space.
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Wow Rut looks absolutely fabulous. Congrats. I am shop envious. Shedding lots of tools I hopefully won’t need in FL but nothing that I might possibly need for Bugsy.Kate thinks i’m Bringing too many tools with me but I think not. Bugsy about 2 weeks away from being ready I believe. Engine and tranny in, clutch bled, fettling underway. House goes on the market on 5/31. Working through end of July and then Southbound.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Congrats on Bugsy and I hope all goes to plan...you’ve put a lot of work into that car. Good luck with you sale, move, and tools and keep us all in the loop!
Ive thought about bead board and I may go that route if I start putting holes in the wall, but I’ll have various tools and racks along most of them. The garage door open/HVAC comment was more tongue in cheek...one of the city engineers said that the breezeway that connects the shop to the deck and is open had to be conditioned. When I asked what R value I needed for the insulation, crickets...
Rut

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is gonna be a beautiful shop.

nomad

Yoda
Rut, I've got an overhead radiant tube propane heater that I just love. No cold floor or even any cold spots in the shop. Window AC for summer. I realize I'm in a colder climate but you can't beat a warm floor and nothing in the way. Used to heat with wood.
BTW....very nice digs!

Kurt

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If youi're going to be hanging stuff (rakes; snow shovels.....) off that glorious drywall, consider screw a horizontal 2x4/2x6/2x? properly to the studs, then just putting hooks/whatever onto the horizontal chunk of wood. No searching for studs; no molyscrews; no annoyance when you want to move a mounting and leave holes in the drywall. Jealous! Doug

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Doug,
I had them put 2x8 blocking between the studs for mounting heavy items, peg board, etc. If it’s not car related I’m going to store it in an area under the deck that will have dry space, so I’ll lessen the amount of clutter in the shop.
Thanks, Rut

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Rut, the shop is looking great. I'm coming to this thread late, but regarding your question about paint color, in my shop I focused on light. There never seems to be enough light to see what you are doing, so I went with a paint color that would reflect light well as opposed to drink it up. I went with Sherwin-Williams Dover White, which has a touch of yellow in it, making for a nice warm glow in the shop. Thought I would share.

Attachments

• Dover White Paint.jpg
    Dover White Paint.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 166
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hugh,
I (we, my wife) decided on York Gray mixed at 50% which gives the shop and garage (they must match when both doors are open) a light gray/brown/tan/yellow kind of color that’s pretty light and surprisingly pleasing to the eye. I put in 12 cans with leds along with task lighting over the work bench plus a few portable lights and we’ll see how it goes once the power is on. There’s also room to expand lighting if need be.
Thanks, Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
We have paint! We are inching closer and closer and hope to be in by Aug 1st!
Rut

Attachments

• E9E55184-31A2-4CA0-B99C-6103BFDBE89D.jpg
    E9E55184-31A2-4CA0-B99C-6103BFDBE89D.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 09688B40-B41C-4A27-94D7-8A3CE2C80F3D.jpg
    09688B40-B41C-4A27-94D7-8A3CE2C80F3D.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 99
  • A2560E3C-94A5-4DA6-B6A7-2F484F61073A.jpg
    A2560E3C-94A5-4DA6-B6A7-2F484F61073A.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 94

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Much nicer than my "shop" where Baby Blue resides, and certainly much nicer than the portable garage that Gertrude, the '53 Plymouth, is kept.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice!

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Holt,
This is indeed a dream come true and I really wanted a pole barn because that’s what I’ve always had. The metal building that I thought I could get by the hoa was an upgrade and was a lot less $ than what I ended up with, but my sweet wife knows how much I enjoy working on these cars and pushed me into it. After the fire we finished the repairs, but no shop remained and our house has no master on the first floor and not enough room to expand, so we started looking. We were looking at a house in the neighborhood where we bought the lot and after our second visit, there was a for sale by owner sign on the last lot. We did the deal and started looking at plans, houses we liked, etc. Once we decided on a plan and got it passed by the hoa we contracted with our nephew to build it and it’s been a very smooth process. What’s really funny is that our youngest son (who owned a remodeling business in Birmingham) was talking with our nephew during the Thanksgiving holidays and they decided to go into business together building houses, apartments, and remodeling in Tuscaloosa. They started this new venture the first of this year and our son is now in charge of building our house! He and his wife and two daughters are moving here mid July and buying our house and we are happy beyond belief. We are a very close knit family and all of this is really a dream come true.
Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
It looks like everything is finished for the CO on Monday and the clean up crew comes in Labor Day weekend followed by the movers on Tuesday. We’ve got stuff stored in an 8.5x24 cargo trailer, a Pod, in our house that our son and his family bought, on an 8x16 car hauler and who knows where else. I’ll use AAA to move the cars from our old house to the new shop and garage since that’s included in our membership. Jo and I are really happy with the way everything turned out and while we’ve enjoyed our stay in her sisters basement (larger than our new house and shop combined) we can’t wait to have our own place again.
Rut

Attachments

• E6F50F0C-0EB1-4183-A65E-8462318668B7.jpg
    E6F50F0C-0EB1-4183-A65E-8462318668B7.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DBE4AE0D-860C-43C9-9E06-80B4558C6A6D.jpg
    DBE4AE0D-860C-43C9-9E06-80B4558C6A6D.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 86