• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine timing

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
So, fully rebuilt 1976 1500 with a full complement of factory emission control garbage attached. The owner wants it stone stock. Factory time is 2 degree ATDC at idle. The engine starts instantly, idles beautify, and has the power band of an old tractor. The owner says that is how it has always felt.

Question -- can I SAFELY bump the timing a few degrees BTC to give a bit of help?

Country flag
Does it have the original distributor and vacuum advance module?

Country flag
At some point they were doing some crazy stuff with the timing for the sake of emissions. IIRC, it was required to keep the stock timing to work with the emissions stuff otherwise you'd get incomplete burn at idle.

OP
B

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
At some point they were doing some crazy stuff with the timing for the sake of emissions. IIRC, it was required to keep the stock timing to work with the emissions stuff otherwise you'd get incomplete burn at idle.

I am well aware of the emissions issues. The question still stands -- can I SAFELY bump the timing a few degrees BTC to give a bit of help?

Country flag
I do not know the answer. I suspect that bumping the timing might give it a bit of help, but at the risk of damaging the cat or over heating the cat. The 1500 engines have a pretty long stroke and I've always thought of them as just a low rpm high torque engine.

OP
B

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
I do not know the answer. I suspect that bumping the timing might give it a bit of help, but at the risk of damaging the cat or over heating the cat. The 1500 engines have a pretty long stroke and I've always thought of them as just a low rpm high torque engine.

Umm .... no cat. Not a California car.

Country flag
Only the 1975 cars did not have catalytic converters. My parts book puts the cut off at GAN6-166304

Does it have EGR valve still in place? What about the anti- run on valve? If those are missing, or are not working, then you are going to need to just tune old school and hope for the best.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I run my 75 Spitfire at 12 degrees before TDC. With a pertronix module. It also has HS 2’s. And it runs great. It’s the same motor. If you are too far advanced you will get pinging under heavy load. Then you will need to back it off a little.