• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Credible Sport a TopSecret project

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This was classified TS at the time (now declassified). A very good friend of mine (and a former boss at SAIC) was the Flight Test Engineer and was onboard when this mishap occurred.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - what a nightmare, especially for the guy who fired the rockets too early. Wrecked the mission as well as the aircraft.

Did you ever get to talk with your friend who was on board at the time?

Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wow - what a nightmare, especially for the guy who fired the rockets too early. Wrecked the mission as well as the aircraft.

Did you ever get to talk with your friend who was on board at the time?

Tom M.

This happened before I knew him, but he talked about it later when I knew him. He's a retired AF Major and was a Flight Test Engineer.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Cool stuff, thanks for posting! 1400 ft runway requirement reduced to 350 feet - 40 ton aircraft. I do not know any of the specifics, but a basic understanding of physics suggests that is darn awesome!!

And I feel for the person who fired the rocket too early (boy is that a metaphor): given only 350 ft to land, the rockets need to fire on first bounce, not later. Assuming 100 mph landing speed (a guess, I have no clue about specifics), 350 feet is covered in just over two seconds!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Woulda beat JATO all to heck if the timing were better. Likely it is now possible to automate the sequences and have it work every time.

And I like the air-to-air footage of the gunship!