• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

5 Speed Driveshaft Yoke

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Does anyone know if the driveshaft splined slip yoke used in the "Smitty" conversion is a specialty item or an off-the-shelf item? If off-the-shelf, what specific application? Thanks.

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Been calling and emailing for over a week. No response.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's going to be the yoke from whatever fits the particular Toyota tranny you have. You'll need to have a new driveshaft made up incorporating the Healey flange at the back and the Toyota yoke at the front. The driveshaft shop will be able to source the proper Toyota yoke, probably an aftermarket part at less cost than the Toyota dealer

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
And in the process you can opt for a sealed U-joint that does not need to be greased.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
FWIW, long ago I needed a new yoke--front, I think--for my BJ8. My dad took it to a local engine shop and an old-timer working there recognized it as the same one used in Volvos of the same vintage; at considerably less cost than a 'genuine' Healey part. Perhaps the yoke was a Jensen part?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The Toyota splined yokes are widely available aftermarket; the Healey joints are standard sized. The Toyota yokes are a standard size which fits all the W-series trannies.

You measure the distance between the flange on the back of the trans and the flange on the front of the diff. The driveshaft maker will know how long to make the driveshaft.

Take your Healey driveshaft so they will be able to see the specs of the U-joint at the rear.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The Toyota splined yokes are widely available aftermarket; the Healey joints are standard sized. The Toyota yokes are a standard size which fits all the W-series trannies.

You measure the distance between the flange on the back of the trans and the flange on the front of the diff. The driveshaft maker will know how long to make the driveshaft.

Take your Healey driveshaft so they will be able to see the specs of the U-joint at the rear.
I think the original Smitty 5-Speed instructions had Driveshaft instruction details if anyone still has a copy, maybe they can post them?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I think the original Smitty 5-Speed instructions had Driveshaft instruction details if anyone still has a copy, maybe they can post them?

The easier method outlined above is how my driveshaft guy approached it. Smitty would have you buy the parts separately and take them to your shop. My guy said that wasn't necessary - they have all the parts. As the drawing shows, they'll deduct 3/4" -- to allow for variation as the axle moves up and down. Do not use my 20-3/16" as marked below without verification.
SmittyDriveShaft.jpg

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Steve -

Thank you very much for the attachment. It shows the yoke as "Toyota 1-2303-21". That is what I needed. My problem is that the yoke on the driveshaft supplied with the 5 speed kit will not slide far enough in to the transmission. It slides in about 2.25" then hits a solid, metal on metal stop. It is not on far enough to bolt the rear flange.

The transmission was supposedly re-built by a professional. I just want to try a different yoke before I once again go through the pain of pulling another transmission.

For my earlier problems, see: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?110884-5-Speed-Issue&highlight=kuzman

Gee, one of these days I may actually get to drive my BJ7 with a 5 speed!

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve -

Thank you very much for the attachment. It shows the yoke as "Toyota 1-2303-21". That is what I needed. My problem is that the yoke on the driveshaft supplied with the 5 speed kit will not slide far enough in to the transmission. It slides in about 2.25" then hits a solid, metal on metal stop. It is not on far enough to bolt the rear flange.

The transmission was supposedly re-built by a professional. I just want to try a different yoke before I once again go through the pain of pulling another transmission.

For my earlier problems, see: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?110884-5-Speed-Issue&highlight=kuzman

John - Can you post a picture of the yoke in place?

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Steve -

Went down the shop and looked at the yoke. It is a Spicer and looks like YXE. Those are the only numbers on the casting.

Here are two pictures I took last fall with the yoke installed as far as it will slide. The first picture shows the splines on the output shaft looking down into the shift tower.

Attachments

• W58 (2).jpg
    W58 (2).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 77
  • W58.jpg
    W58.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 82

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John -
What is the yoke hitting when you insert it? It should probably slide forward into the area of the splines in your first picture.
Look how the splines are larger in diameter than the shaft - that implies the yoke should slide forward of the splines.
Are you sure the yoke is engaging the splines and not getting hung up on a burr on the end of the shaft - have you rotated the driveshaft as you insert the yoke?
What is the distance the yoke goes in?

Last edited:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Steve -

The part # in the Smitty's manual may not be correct. Read this post: https://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?13,30673 Have you checked the internal splines in the yoke to see if you don't have a bent or damaged one? That would explain why the yoke would only go on so far before stopping.

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Steve -

I cannot see/tell what the yoke is hitting, but it is a solid stop, not just a snug interference. The yoke goes in about 2.5" before stopping.

Additional information to dwell upon: This same driveshaft and yoke slides in fine to the first transmission that I installed (jumps out of fifth gear). I found a Toyota 21 spline yoke on eBay and bought it just to play with. ($18.00). It is not the correct u-joint configuration, but it is a Toyota application, 21 spline, and the exact same OD and ID as the yoke on the driveshaft. It slides in without any problems!!!

And now to add more confusion to this never ending saga, I have an old junkyard Wxx Series transmission that I bought several years ago. Condition unknown, but it shifts into all gears. Both yokes fit it fine!!!

Rick: Powerline Industries has an East Coast distributor who I plan on calling this morning.

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
The latest: Powertrain Industries, through their distributor, sent me the 2303-21 yoke. It slides on perfectly! Now the downside, the 2303-21 yoke mates with the 2326-25 end weld yoke. This end weld yoke is for a 2.5" diameter driveshaft. The driveshaft that came with the Delaney kit is a 2" diameter. I would need to have made a whole new driveshaft. Sure wish Delaney would respond. This is getting ridiculous.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John - do you have anyone in your area who rebuilds Toyota transmissions? It would seem you need to talk to an expert and show him your stuff.

Lots of landscapers use Toyota trucks - there's gotta be someone.

Did you measure the OD of your new yoke with a micrometer at several places along its length - and compare it to the one that won't slide in all the way?

Try loosening the bolts that hold the rear housing to the center section and see if the yoke will jiggle into place. Maybe there's a close-fitting bore that's slightly off alignment and maybe the OD on the problem yoke is slightly larger.