• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scams using Microsofts name

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Came home from a shopping spree and the wife informed me that I received a phone call from Microsoft, it is on the answering machine! She didn't know that MS doesn't make phone calls, she didn't answer it as it was for me. It's a scam from somewhere in the world, wanting information that is none of their business. Just posting this so folks in your home will know their running another scam program again and will not adhere to it. Hang up and delete it if it's on your machine. :ziplip: PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Another reason to give up modern communications and go back to smoke signals. Actually, with Lucas electrics, we use smoke signals all the time already!
:jester:

Back in the early 19th century, the USA was known for having more gypsters and con-artists than anywhere else. Now our creativity has spread across the face of the earth!

yeesh

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Since I have Mac computers (and one off line running DOS), I have always found these calls funny. And if the caller does not say they are Microsoft, I ask them which system software the "iffy" computer is running so I know which one need s their attention...then I hang up.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If it wasn't for my wife and her computers (3), ipad, Kindle and one Dell machine with Windows, she's MS oriented and doesn't want to change, I would only be running Linux on my machines. My Linux machines, one duel boot, only has a small anti virus program in it and nothing else. I never get any of the garbage stuff. It's default Thunderbird mail program with it's controllable settings doesn't let anything in I don't want. Do Mac machines use any MS software? PJ

dklawson

Yoda
We get "Microsoft" calls several times a week. The accent on the other end of the phone is almost always Indian or Pakistani. My wife typically answers the phone and its obvious pretty quickly what's going on .

I hear:
"No, you're not from Microsoft. Stop calling here or I'll have the authorities trace the call and charge you with fraud".
Then I hear her hang up.

She has tried a couple of things at my suggestion... like asking "Which of my PCs have the problem". The scammer typically pauses, stumbles, and then replies "Uh... all of them". My son and I have fun suggesting she respond with:
"Oh thank you for calling! I've been having such problems with my dual boot configuration."... and responses like that. I figure that their time is money so if you can keep them on the phone a long time without giving them what they want they'll go away.

catfood

Jedi Knight
That used to be one of my sons favourites. Whenever we got a scam call we passed it over to him and he would try and keep them talking as long as possible, normally with a bad imitation of whatever accent was at the other end of the phone.

D

Deleted member 8987

When these calls from Pakistan or India claiming to be MicroSoft.....I learned the three or four phone numbers they started with...and answered "MicroSoft XP Support Desk". Boy, did THAT whiz them off. Screaming and hollering...and I would ask for their license key to determine which version of MS software they had...and they would scream XP is not supported...ah, but Enterprise Versions ARE through 2019.....and off we went.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I just say "I'm in the middle of something, hold on, I'll be right back." Then I leave the phone off the hook for a long time.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My favorite, clever, scam is the warning (common back in the late 1990s) that you might have a malicious file on your hard-drive. It was suggested that you do a search for it (in the Windows folder). Of course, it was THERE (owing to be an operating system file) and then you were instructed to delete it. Thankfully, if memory serves, Windows would go and get the missing file... so it wasn't that nasty.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I just say "I'm in the middle of something, hold on, I'll be right back." Then I leave the phone off the hook for a long time.

I've done that one too. Otherwise, my standard line is "does your mother know you do this for a living?" I once got a call back telling me that my comment was mean... to which I said "don't forget your mother!"

Country flag
I've been getting this robo call telling me that due to unusual activity, Microsoft has banned me from the internet and locked me out. Of course I "need" to call their number to be allowed back in.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've been getting this robo call telling me that due to unusual activity, Microsoft has banned me from the internet and locked me out. Of course I "need" to call their number to be allowed back in.

Sadly, as they say, these calls must work for them to continue to use them. Hate to think of the elderly (or others) that fall victim to them.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I’ve received several of these calls. I simply said “I already know how to quickly snuggle so no micro soft hug for me.” They didn’t get it and just hung up. It’s sort of like responding to a question with “Because there are no bones in ice cream.”

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Why waste even two seconds of your time with these jerks? If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer the phone. They have learned to use local numbers and area codes but my rule still applies. If it's a potential client, they'll leave a message. If you get that computer lockup thing, just turn off your machine and restart it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I recently read that you should never speak to the people as then your voice can be used to voice activate other identity theft scams - I don’t answer unknown callers or any 800 number.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've had very good luck with "NoMoRobo"... and it's a free service (on a land-line). The call is recognized as a solicitation and is routed to a DC number to be added to banned numbers. Our phone rings once and then it's gone (and we know why).