• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Spare Tire Size

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
Presently have 165/80R15 on the car but that size won't fit in the spare tire compartment. Is there a popular size radial that is a bit thinner that I might use in a pinch as a spare that will fit? Thanks

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
More experienced voices will join in, but you could probably just slightly deflate the tire.

Then use a battery powered pump if you ever need to actually use the spare.

Tom M.
(frugal zealot)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I found a "compact spare" tire in the junkyard that would fit on a stock TR3 rim (size T135D15). Much cheaper than a new tire, and fits with room to spare. I actually keep a cheap blanket rolled up and stuffed in beside it, so it can't slide around. (Blanket comes in handy to kneel on while changing a tire.) The compact spare tires are a different construction (not radial) that supposedly does not "age out" like modern steel radials do.

a0NFEto.jpg

Of course, you should observe the conditions marked on the tire, which ISTR calls for 45 mph max and "Temporary" use only. But I've driven roughly 2 hours at 70+ mph on it and no noticeable problems.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have a 165/80 R15 tire as a spare on a steel rim.. That fits in the compartment but is snug. Does not need to be strapped in. I will probable wrap a strap behind the tire to help get it out if I were to need it.

David

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Post commission TS60k cars have a slightly larger spare tire compartment and will accept a 165/80-15. Pre TS60k cars can only get in a 155 size.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I carry a 165HR15 spare in my pre-TS60000 TR3A -- but it has to be deflated and even then it is such a snug fit I sprinkle baby powder on each side. A strap looped thru the rim makes it possible (not easy) to pull it out. Picture me on my butt with a foot on each bumperette pulling for all I'm worth.

Fortunately - I have never had a flat in all the years I have driven that car.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Frank,

My 1957 TR3 came with 60 spoke wire wheels, I fitted 165 Michelin radials from Coker. The spare was a 48 spoke and the Michelins didn't come in a 155 size, so I got a Firestone 155 radial from Coker as it would fit in the wheel well. When I sent the wires off to Hendrix to be trued and balanced, they said they were trash, so I bought new 48 spoke wires (MWS) and had the Michelins put on them. The Firestone fits nicely in the wheel well.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just a side note: How well a 165 fits in the early well may depend on just how the trunk floor is bent. Back when I was using a 165 in a pre-60K car, I would sometimes have to use it as a lever to pop the trunk floor upwards before I could force the tire in.

OP
F

frankfast

Jedi Trainee
Post commission TS60k cars have a slightly larger spare tire compartment and will accept a 165/80-15. Pre TS60k cars can only get in a 155 size.

My post TS60k won't accept a 165/80-15R without forcing it in. I had a heckuva time getting it out when I bought the car. I think it's best to find a 155 for a spare.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a pre-ts60k, and have a T125/70D15 (from Discount Tire) fitted to an original wheel. It is marked 60PSI max, and though much smaller than a stock tire, it holds the car up. I've never had to put it on the car while on the road, but have test fit/drove with it. The tiny wheel/tire leaves enough spare space in the boot for a scissor jack, spare water pump, spare belt, spare fuel pump, spare alternator, spare distributor with cap and wires, extra flash light, fuel filter elements, misc wiring, lug wrench, towel and handy-wipes. That way I have room in the trunk for a few tools and luggage. The boot is only opened in case of emergency. -not that I plan for one.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Look online at Lucas Tire.
They have a couple choices for 155 /15 Radials.
i have purchased tires from them with good luck.
Gil. NoCal