Thread: Purple Heart, with oak leaf clusters

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Purple Heart, with oak leaf clusters

From my June, 1945, Readers Digest.

"While waiting for a bus in a midwestern town, my eye was caught by a couple strolling hand in hand down the main street. He was in uniform with air corps patch, pilot wings, and two rows of decorations. She was young maybe 25 and pretty, and as they came closer I could see the deep pride shining in her eyes.

"I could recognize some of his decorations: the Air medal, Distinguished Flying cross, the Silver Star, and above them the unmistakable blue ribbon with five white stars representing the Congressional medal of Honor. Beside it was the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf clusters.

"As he passed me, his hand rose in a rather unsteady salute. My heels clicked together and I returned his salute smartly never had I responded with so much enthusiasm. Maybe it was the proud, pretty girl. Maybe it was the Medal of Honor ribbon. Or maybe it was the fact he was just about four years old."

Sometimes reading through old books and magazines refreshes the soul.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NutmegCT For This Useful Post:

Basil  (04-26-2018), Brooklands  (04-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Purple Heart, with oak leaf clusters

Thanks Tom...I enjoy listening to some of the old radio shows on XM radio, remembering when many people tried harder to get along, and respect what was good.

And also, I laugh each time I listen to "Gunsmoke" and try to picture William "Matt Dillon" Conrad jumping on his horse.
    Dave Reese
    Visit my Flickr Photo Albums
    No longer have any LBC's...but many fond memories of owning Fagin...

"I intend to live forever ... So far, so good." - Steven Wright

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post

Thanks for posting! Speaking of old books and magazines, I have the Complete National Geographic (well, 1888 through 2010) on DVD! That entire set fits on just 6 DVDs!

Nat Geo.jpg
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    From my June, 1945, Readers Digest.

"While waiting for a bus in a midwestern town, my eye was caught by a couple strolling hand in hand down the main street. He was in uniform with air corps patch, pilot wings, and two rows of decorations. She was young maybe 25 and pretty, and as they came closer I could see the deep pride shining in her eyes.

"I could recognize some of his decorations: the Air medal, Distinguished Flying cross, the Silver Star, and above them the unmistakable blue ribbon with five white stars representing the Congressional medal of Honor. Beside it was the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf clusters.

"As he passed me, his hand rose in a rather unsteady salute. My heels clicked together and I returned his salute smartly never had I responded with so much enthusiasm. Maybe it was the proud, pretty girl. Maybe it was the Medal of Honor ribbon. Or maybe it was the fact he was just about four years old."

Maybe it was the fact that you are a very nice and respectable fella! Along with one of the few, (sorry to say), who stands up when our flag passes by in a parade. PJ

Remember, Never Forget
    We Live In The Land of The Free
    Because of The Brave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Thanks for posting! Speaking of old books and magazines, I have the Complete National Geographic (well, 1888 through 2010) on DVD! That entire set fits on just 6 DVDs!

Nat Geo.jpg
    Who'd a thunk it.

Interesting that the centered cover is the Afghan woman with the striking blue eyes.

My grandfather was a lifetime member, he had Nat Geo issues from 1902 onward, kept in "lawyer" bookcases stacked. If we wanted to know about something, we went to him. If he didn't know for sure he would take us to the bookcases and grab an index volume. When he passed in 1968 grandmother BURNED those books!

I got Mitsy a lifetime subscription in 1978, those volumes are good ballast for th' hovel.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrEntropy View Post
    Who'd a thunk it.

Interesting that the centered cover is the Afghan woman with the striking blue eyes.

My grandfather was a lifetime member, he had Nat Geo issues from 1902 onward, kept in "lawyer" bookcases stacked. If we wanted to know about something, we went to him. If he didn't know for sure he would take us to the bookcases and grab an index volume. When he passed in 1968 grandmother BURNED those books!

I got Mitsy a lifetime subscription in 1978, those volumes are good ballast for th' hovel.
    As Paul Harvey would say; "and now, the rest of the story."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post

Nat Geo.jpg
    Yours looks to be about the size of one volume of mine.Nat Geo.jpg
    Cheers,
    Walter
    52 International L110
    61 International C112
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've got the same CD set at home, as well as the physical volumes from the early 30s on my maternal grandmother had, and the continuing subscription of the early 70s to now I've had. The CD are great for easy use, but there's just something about the smell and touch of paper. I prefer physical books too over a reader, even though they take up space..