• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Purple Heart, with oak leaf clusters

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
From my June, 1945, Readers Digest.

"While waiting for a bus in a midwestern town, my eye was caught by a couple strolling hand in hand down the main street. He was in uniform with air corps patch, pilot wings, and two rows of decorations. She was young maybe 25 and pretty, and as they came closer I could see the deep pride shining in her eyes.

"I could recognize some of his decorations: the Air medal, Distinguished Flying cross, the Silver Star, and above them the unmistakable blue ribbon with five white stars representing the Congressional medal of Honor. Beside it was the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf clusters.

"As he passed me, his hand rose in a rather unsteady salute. My heels clicked together and I returned his salute smartly never had I responded with so much enthusiasm. Maybe it was the proud, pretty girl. Maybe it was the Medal of Honor ribbon. Or maybe it was the fact he was just about four years old."

Sometimes reading through old books and magazines refreshes the soul.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks Tom...I enjoy listening to some of the old radio shows on XM radio, remembering when many people tried harder to get along, and respect what was good.

And also, I laugh each time I listen to "Gunsmoke" and try to picture William "Matt Dillon" Conrad jumping on his horse.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

Thanks for posting! Speaking of old books and magazines, I have the Complete National Geographic (well, 1888 through 2010) on DVD! That entire set fits on just 6 DVDs!

Nat Geo.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
From my June, 1945, Readers Digest.

"While waiting for a bus in a midwestern town, my eye was caught by a couple strolling hand in hand down the main street. He was in uniform with air corps patch, pilot wings, and two rows of decorations. She was young maybe 25 and pretty, and as they came closer I could see the deep pride shining in her eyes.

"I could recognize some of his decorations: the Air medal, Distinguished Flying cross, the Silver Star, and above them the unmistakable blue ribbon with five white stars representing the Congressional medal of Honor. Beside it was the Purple Heart with Oak Leaf clusters.

"As he passed me, his hand rose in a rather unsteady salute. My heels clicked together and I returned his salute smartly never had I responded with so much enthusiasm. Maybe it was the proud, pretty girl. Maybe it was the Medal of Honor ribbon. Or maybe it was the fact he was just about four years old."

Maybe it was the fact that you are a very nice and respectable fella! Along with one of the few, (sorry to say), who stands up when our flag passes by in a parade. :encouragement: PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks for posting! Speaking of old books and magazines, I have the Complete National Geographic (well, 1888 through 2010) on DVD! That entire set fits on just 6 DVDs!

View attachment 53287
Who'd a thunk it.

Interesting that the centered cover is the Afghan woman with the striking blue eyes.

My grandfather was a lifetime member, he had Nat Geo issues from 1902 onward, kept in "lawyer" bookcases stacked. If we wanted to know about something, we went to him. If he didn't know for sure he would take us to the bookcases and grab an index volume. When he passed in 1968 grandmother BURNED those books!

I got Mitsy a lifetime subscription in 1978, those volumes are good ballast for th' hovel.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Who'd a thunk it.

Interesting that the centered cover is the Afghan woman with the striking blue eyes.

My grandfather was a lifetime member, he had Nat Geo issues from 1902 onward, kept in "lawyer" bookcases stacked. If we wanted to know about something, we went to him. If he didn't know for sure he would take us to the bookcases and grab an index volume. When he passed in 1968 grandmother BURNED those books!

I got Mitsy a lifetime subscription in 1978, those volumes are good ballast for th' hovel.

As Paul Harvey would say; "and now, the rest of the story."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

View attachment 53287

Yours looks to be about the size of one volume of mine.Nat Geo.jpg

Country flag
I've got the same CD set at home, as well as the physical volumes from the early 30s on my maternal grandmother had, and the continuing subscription of the early 70s to now I've had. The CD are great for easy use, but there's just something about the smell and touch of paper. I prefer physical books too over a reader, even though they take up space..