• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Going for a little walk

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
SWMBO & I are leaving shortly to (hopefully) finish walking the Camino de Santiago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camino_de_Santiago

If you don't know it is an 800 km (500 mile) pilgrimage starting in France and ending in North West Spain. 5 years ago we started but we had to stop after a week as Mrs JP injured her feet. The good part is that we got over the Pyrenees (the worst part) and two days walk past Pamplona.

So, flying to Bilbao, then bus to Pamplona and on to Lorca. 700 Km to go. Onward.

will try to keep you posted with a pic or two.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good luck and enjoy the walk! Hope Mrs. JP makes it through without injury! Have fun.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Are you doing it on your own or with an organized group.

David

Doing it on our own. It is not that hard to sort out except that about the sum total of my Spanish is cerveca and vino tinto. At the airport waiting- we both have carry on backpacks- Mrs JP about 12 lbs and me about 15 - including walking poles. Not bad for 6 weeks! :grin:

So we go through security and of course the poles get flagged :rolleyes: supervisor comes over and explains that we can only carry on walking sticks if we actually need them - we said we do. He said “no, now.” “ so if you wouldn’t mind using them now we can let you through.”

Yes we can do that and off we go through the airport with walking poles at the ready- all in all a very Canadian solution:cheers:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
That is wonderful! Best of luck, best of fun, and hopefully good weather to keep you comfortable!

(And thank you for the happy story about airport security - sometimes those folks get a bad rap, but fundamentally they are human like the rest of us.)

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Wow. How wonderful. Make wonderful memories and pics!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sitting at the airport in Lisbon waiting to fly to Bilbao and then to Lorca tomorrow- 8 hour wait between flights so we went downtown- I do love a subway that connects to the airport! 1.45 euro one way and we were there. A beautiful city- bizarrely there are Tuk Tuks every where trying to sell you a ride. They have street cars - and still run their very old ones for tourists- lovely! We were having a rest and a cold drink on a fairly steep hill - with tracks! Saw them Come down but not up.

It was amazing to me how much English there was - people spoke it and many many t shirts - but even ads and signs were in English- weird

Country flag
My sister-in-law walked the first half. She said it was truly amazing. I know she plans to walk the second half, not sure when. Best wishes for the completion of your trek!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Amazing trip JP. Something to remember forever.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well first longer day today -weather is gorgeous. Yesterday we started at Lorca at 11 so only about 12 km - today about 20 so so much for a slow start. Tonight we are in an albergue in Los Arcos. Beautiful medieval town.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Have to keep a map of your progress.

How is the weather for the WALK.

Good luck.

David

so far the weather is stunning. We start at 7 am in the low 60s and by 10 it is low to mid 70’s. Great for walking

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Different Lorca google Estella and it is about 10 km east. Tonight we are in viana- a lot of walking up and down today. Tonight we are in a small pensione with the smallest shower I have ever used. Literally no room for soap. Today we traveled with two women from Edmonton. Both in their 60’s. They are staying after so have two huge suitcases that they send on every day. Still haven’t figured out pictures so will try to link to Mrs JPs Facebook account. Oh and were in a tiny beautiful templer Church today- google iglesia de santo sepulcro in Torres del Rio

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
22 km to Navarrete today- mostly lovely walk through parks and trails- though almost all of paved. Saturday so lots of picnics and families to pass. A couple of big hills and some amazing churches! Tonight we snuck in at the end of mass - the church is overwhelmingly gold and sculpture and art. It is hard for us to imagine that not much more than a century ago a Church organ would have been the loudest man made sound people had ever heard- and really only thunder in nature. Combine that with the good of the alter and compared to the rest of people’s live it really would have looked like a glimpse of heaven to go to mass.

In less spiritual news I have spotted a couple of Rovers a few Land Rovers - today the oldest car to date a very old Land Rover in the back of a dump truck and this evening a triumph motorcycle.

finally supper- we had a drink with some new friends- two glasses of wine (I walked past the winery earlier) a pint of beer and a latte- 7 euros. Then bread/ paella/ vegetables and about six different tapas plus wine and a coke - 18 euros. I love this place but sure won’t fit the Midget much longer

cheers all