• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Avast and AVG

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

I used to use AVG...until one program update years ago where it was NOT written for AMD processors, and I became one of thousands with all files wiped clean and the OS impacted to where the machine shut down.
I went to various, settled late last year again on Avast.
Unbeknownst to me, Avast and AVG merged in 2016. They are virtually the same, including user interface and settings.
Well, month or so ago, my wife's 64 bit machine presented a BSOD (blue screen of death) with fltmgr.sys failure.

I was able to msconfig and deselect certain items and get it going again, albeit with Behavior Shield inop.

Three days later my 64 bit machine did the same thing (so we know it isn't machine specific). Since hers had MS updates still on, it was a question..but mine are killed, so it ain't MS this time.

This year Avast and AVG seem to want to reboot with every definition update...and you start all over.

Go to the Avast forum, all sorts of posts on this...various failures with BSOD reported, a lot with fltmgr.sys listed.

Couple I saw with Windoze 10, fair amount with 7-64, a whole lot with XP-64.

Renewed the license for ESET which I used for two years, and now I can light it off with startup and services in msconfig set to "normal".

Morons.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wife's machine an Intel processor?

I'll need to keep an eye out for this on one client's machines. gah.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I think wife's is an Intel...Dell...older tower....came with Vista, fixed to XP-64 within a week. Next time I hike upstairs I'll look, but I think there is an "Intel Inside" sticker.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Ah...so is this one...Dell Precision 490....I see an Intel sticker on the nose. Came factory with XP-64, then had Server 2003, then to me with original discs, and back to licensed OEM XP-64. My 32 bit machine is AMD....and the BIG one before that that AVG ate the files out of.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Herself's two are both Intel, one XP Pro 64, the other has 10. AVG on both, so far no hiccups. Even with the intrusive 10 updates. But that can change any time as you know.

The client mentioned before has had some issues with one workstation, will need to check to see if it has an AMD engine.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987