• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Go to seat springs or foam?

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So the shop that did all my body work and paint...yet painted it the wrong color and missed some items...OK, I won't go there. Back on track! Anyway, they lost my original seat springs so they were nice enough to buy some new Moss springs. Well, doing some searching it seems they are known for sitting too high and let me tell you, they do! I read the TRF springs are a bit lower. Is this still true? What foam kits do you guys use? I'm thinking more towards foam because I really don't like the bouncy feeling of the springs. I know, more original but oh well. I just want to be lower in the car! What say ye? Thanks!

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would definitely not go with the standard Moss repro springs - the only ones that are really worth it are the top grade TRF ones, which have the right spring pattern and sit correctly in terms of height in my TR2. But the foam is a good option if originality is not a concern, and you can get the height exactly where you want it. Foam is probably the most economic predictable option.

Dan

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would definitely not go with the standard Moss repro springs - the only ones that are really worth it are the top grade TRF ones, which have the right spring pattern and sit correctly in terms of height in my TR2. But the foam is a good option if originality is not a concern, and you can get the height exactly where you want it. Foam is probably the most economic predictable option.

Dan

So the TRF ones sit considerably lower than the Moss? The TRF ones are on sale right now which is a bonus! Maybe I bite on those? My concern is how would my early TR4 seat covers fit on the foam. That is my only concern. So maybe I'll give the TRF ones a shot.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...My concern is how would my early TR4 seat covers fit on the foam. That is my only concern...

These are foam. I had them done by a shop 18 years ago and they still look good and sit well.

8GU8c8B.jpg

They knew what they were doing... selecting the right density of foam, drilling large vertical holes in it, constructing a wood base to fit the seat pan, etc.

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have the TRF Springs, they worked well...

Well I ordered them so I will see how they work. It will give me motivation to build the passenger seat! HAHA And as much as I would love to go custom foam...I can only imagine what that would cost here in CA. Probably more than the car is worth.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I decided to have my upholstery shop make them out of foam because of the feel when sitting in them . I think the spring bottoms are a little too jouncy. Your seats look great Geo !

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I like my foam seats from 2tall the ebay seller(not sure I he is still around).
They are nice and firm and comfortable holding their shape nicely after 4yrs and 10k miles.
I sat on a lot of restored and original seats and liked the foam.
They were 700 for two,all leather,new pans,one folding,about the price of just new springs.
BTW I thought Cali. would be the place to get anything done a vintage car.
Tom

f

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
The bay area of California is expensive. For an engine rebuild, for example, I found it far cheaper to ship the engine to a builder in Ohio rather than spend the 5-8k I was being quoted locally

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The bay area of California is expensive. For an engine rebuild, for example, I found it far cheaper to ship the engine to a builder in Ohio rather than spend the 5-8k I was being quoted locally

Yeah, probably would have saved $10-15K if I took the whole car to someone anywhere outside the west coast. But...is what it is. I'll see if the foam is still on ebay. I can always return the springs if I still find they are too high still.

PeterK

Yoda
He doesn't list foam kits on ebay, you'll need to contact him through ebay to ask for it.

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
He doesn't list foam kits on ebay, you'll need to contact him through ebay to ask for it.

Good to know! I looked last night and couldnt find them. Thanks for the heads up.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have foam in mine. When I realized I was too tall to fit in the TR3 with the top up, I removed the bottom cover, removed about 5" of foam and reinstalled the cover. Now the top of my head is below the top of the windshield and I can put the top up. The lower seat is barely noticeable by the casual observer. If I had springs, I'd need a different fix, and I'd rather not shorten my neck.

Jer (I'm only 6'1")

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I got the complete foam seats from 2tall. If it helps he is located in Centerville Oh , outside of Columbus. I really like the feel and comfort.