• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boat Anchor Ham Radio Station

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Getting rid of stuff and I know folks around here have many and varied interests. I have a Navy RAL converted to Ham use along with a Bandmaster Jr. transmitter. The RAL with the power supply weighs in a about 100lbs. They both worked the last time I used them about 45yrs ago. The RAL is a very competent CW receiver. If you are restoring a WWII battleship, submarine, etc. I have the hard to find receiver you need.

DSCN0629 (1024x768).jpg

DSCN0634 (1024x768).jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darn! - I just sold my battleship last week.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Loved my old AR-88... a real classic. But times change. I sold it in about 1974.
Got my first ham license with it as my primary receiver.
https://www.radioblvd.com/ar88.htm

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I realize that they probably have little or no value - but, is there a military website? surely the components themselves might be worth something even if the units not so much - unless of course there is a British Submarine Forum.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
There are groups out there (though I no longer follow that stuff). In this era, you should be able to find them on-line.
That written, I doubt there is much value in them (and certainly weigh too much to easily ship).

Those receivers are pretty lousy by modern standards, and power supplies have capacitors that go bad. Still, I hope you can find a good home for it all.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My Hallicrapters SX-99 sits dormant on a shelf, anoscillator circuit added in about 1959 so it could dial in SSB. The precursor to modern encryption. A couple W3xxx guys were in my past. And QSL cards from places like London and Moscow... days gone by.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My Hallicrapters SX-99 sits dormant on a shelf, anoscillator circuit added in about 1959 so it could dial in SSB. The precursor to modern encryption. A couple W3xxx guys were in my past. And QSL cards from places like London and Moscow... days gone by.

Was that upper or lower side band, or both?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Both. A switch added to go between the two. Frequency of the oscillator was "tuneable" with a rheostat to dial in a freq to allow SSB to be understood. The lower freq's were a bit harder to tweak to hear.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
During WWll, my dad and I would drive around on Sundays talking on our Abbott TR-4 (yes I know, but that was long before...) radio call sign WJQA 75 to the base station WJQA 1. We were part of the WERS - War Emergency Radio Service. I had my license too - aged 10. I believe the youngest in the US. WWll was exciting for a kid - here in the States.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Both. A switch added to go between the two. Frequency of the oscillator was "tuneable" with a rheostat to dial in a freq to allow SSB to be understood. The lower freq's were a bit harder to tweak to hear.

And which side-band you were on was/is generally dictated by the band you are on (e.g., lower for 80 meters, upper for 20 meters), but I've been away from it so-long that things have probably changed.

All this reminds me that I have to renew my license (N7ALJ) by this August. Not sure why, but hate to let it go.

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
Mark -
Renew your license! Sadly, I let my license (WA8YWE) lapse in 1972 while I was in the Navy. Every now and then, I get the urge to get back on the air.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mark -
Renew your license! Sadly, I let my license (WA8YWE) lapse in 1972 while I was in the Navy. Every now and then, I get the urge to get back on the air.

Thanks, John, I shall for old-time sake. The Kenwood transceiver still sits packaged up in our garage. It might even be free to renw, and one gets another 10 years. Who knows, I might still use it.
I was first licensed as a novice in 1968 (I think) as WN7PWJ, but I let it lapse in 5 years. Then I re-licensed in 1978 when they also went to the new call-signs... so I was one of the first "N" ones in my district (7).
So much has changed, and I was only ever a HF guy... with huge antennas. :smile:

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I let my license go in about 1967, I think. The test is much different now, don't even need to know code. The HAM radio guys still using boat anchors report the RAL is still a useful receiver. There is a Tube video of a guy using it to tune in voice besides code. It is a tuned radio frequency receiver, the high point of regen technology. During WW2 there was fear the enemy could home in on the signal emitted by a super het. receiver.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It used to be a badge of accomplishment that one had to pass the code test. When I got re-licensed in 1978 the test still required 13 wpm but it was a QSO (and not a random 5 minutes of letters, symbols and numbers); this made it a lot easier (though the multiple choice test was tricky). I always thought CW was a fall-back in a disaster. Kinda said, but then I don't recognize a lot of the latest technology (that it computer-controlled). I only hope that kids still take our places.